[ skip to content ]
- Drew Landman
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- 1311 Engr and Comp Sci Bldg
- Web Page
- Dr. Landman has over 25 years of experience in engineering and engineering education. He spent 13 years as chief engineer
at the Langley Full Scale Wind Tunnel where he conducted aerodynamic testing on ground and flight vehicles, designed, built,
and calibrated force measurement instrumentation.
- Old Dominion University,
- Major: Aerospace Eng., Experimental Aerodynamics
- Degree: Ph. D.
- Lehigh University,
- Major: Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Design for Automation and Computer Aided Design
- Degree: M.S.
- Lehigh University,
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Degree: B.S.
- Aerospace and mechanical test instrumentation design and calibration methdology using design of experiments (DOE) and response
surface methods (RSM). Low speed ground vehicle aerodynamics including reducing drag on heavy trucks. Helicopter/Ship aerodynamic
interaction including PIV measurements of velocity.
Licensures and Certifications
- Associate Fellow
- Sponsoring Organization: AIAA
- Professional Engineer
- Sponsoring Organization: State of VA
- Date Obtained: 1992-01-01
- Aerospace Engineering
- Wind Tunnel Testing/ Aerospace and Ground Vehicle Low Speed Aerodynamics/Design of Experiments as applied to Wind Tunnel Testing
and Balance Calibration
- Bayraktar, I., Landman, D., Cary, W., Wood, R., Flamm, J., and Hunter, C. An Assessment of Drag Reduction Devices for Heavy Trucks Using Design of Experiments and Computational Fluid Dynamics. Overviews, Multiple Trailer-Mounted Devices; Tires, Splash and Spray and Emissions; Full Scale Assessments (SP-1985), (pp. 53-64).
- Landman, D., Cragun, M., McCormick, M., and Wood, R. (2011). Drag Reduction of a Modern Straight Truck. SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, 4 (1), (pp. 256-262).
- Johnson, T., Parker, P., and Landman, D. (2010). Calibration Modeling of Nonmonolithic Wind-Tunnel Force Balances. Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 1860-1866, Nov-Dec 2010., DOI: 10.2514/1.46356, 47 (6), (pp. 1860-1866).
- Landman, D., , , and (2009). Understanding Practical Limits to heavy Tuck Drag Reduction. SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, 2 (2), (pp. 183-190).
- Newman, B. A., Landman, D., and Omran, A. (2008). Design of Experiments-Based Stability and Control Derivative Modeling. Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Part G, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 222 (8), (pp. 1123-1137).
- Simpson, J., Landman, D., Giroux, R., Zeisset, M., Hall, B., and Rhew, R. (2008). Adapting Second-Order Response Surface Designs to Specific Needs. Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 24 (3), (pp. 331-349).
- Landman, D. (2007). Hybrid Design for Aircraft Wind-Tunnel Testing using Response Surface Methodologies. AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 44 (4), (pp. 1214-1221).
- Landman, D., Simpson, J., Vicroy, D., and Parker, P. (2007). Response Surface Methods for Efficient Complex Aircraft Configuration Aerodynamic Characterization. AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 44 (4), (pp. 1189- 1195).
- Landman, D., Simpson, J., Mariani, R., Ortiz, F., and Britcher, C. P. (2007). Hybrid Design for Aircraft Wind-Tunnel Testing Using Response Surface Methodologies.. AIAA Journal of Aircraft, vol.44 (no.4), (pp. pp.1214-1221).
- Landman, D. (2006). Using Statistics to Improve Wind Tunnel Testing of Race Cars. Bernoulli Aerodynamics International, 1 (3), (pp. 10-14).
- Kochersberger, K., Landman, D., Player, J., and Hyde, K. (2005). Evaluation of the Wright 1902 Glider Using Full-Scale Wind-Tunnel Data. AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 42 (3), (pp. 710-717).
- Zuckerwar, A. J., Ash, R. L., Britcher, C. P., and Landman, D. (2003). An Evaluation of the Wright 1901 Glider using Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Data. Journal of Aircraft, 40 (3), (pp. 417-424).
- Miley, S. J., Ash, R. L., Hyde, K. L., Landman, D., and Sparks, A. K. (2002). Propeller Performance Tests of Wright Brothers’ ‘Bent End’ Propellers. Journal of Aircraft, 39 (2), (pp. 234-241).
- Landman, D., Blackburn, S., Ash, R. L., and Hyde, K. W. (2002). Wind Tunnel Testing of the Wright Brothers’ Model B Airfoil. Journal of Aircraft, 39 (1), (pp. 30-36).
- 2004: Excellence in Industrial Partnering Award, ODU, BCET
- 2000: Excellence in Oral Presentation Award, Society of Automotive Engineers
- Voted Outstanding faculty member
- Member of Tau Beta Pi national engineering honorary and Pi Tau Sigma national mechanical engineering honorary societies
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Non-Articulated Ground Vehicle Skirt Fairing
- Patent/Copyright: Patent