[ skip to content ]
- Kurt Taylor Gaubatz
- Associate Professor
- Political Science & Geography
- 7030 Batten Arts and Letters
- Web Page
- Kurt Taylor Gaubatz teaches International Studies at ODU. He was previously on the faculty at Stanford University and was
the visiting Winant Lecturer in American Foreign Policy at Oxford University.
- Stanford University,
- Major: Political Science
- Degree: Ph. D.
- The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy,
- Major: International Law
- Degree: M.A.L.D.
- Princeton Theological Seminary,
- Major: Theology
- Degree: M.Div.
- University of California, Berkeley,
- Major: Economics
- Degree: B.A.
- Democracy and War
The Causes of War
The Law of Armed Conflict
Modeling and Simulation
- International Issues
- International Affairs, American Foreign Policy, International Law, The Domestic Politics of Foreign Policy, Elections and
Foreign Policy, The Causes of War and Peace, The Ethics of Foreign Policy, Modeling and Simulation in International Relations
- Modeling and Simulation
- Political and Social Modeling and Simulation
- Conflict Resolution
- International Conflict, The Causes of War, International Peacemaking
- The Ethics of International Relations and Foreign Policy, Just War Theory
- Political Science
- International Relations, Political Theory, Modeling and Simulation of Politics, Statistical Analaysis
- International Counter-Terrorism Policy, Homeland Security, the Politics of Terrorism
- International Organizations, Foreign Policy, The United Nations, Diplomatic Relations
- Gaubatz, K. T. (1999). Elections and War: The Electoral Incentive in the Democratic Politics of War and Peace. Stanford University Press.
- Gaubatz, K. T. (1998). None Dare Call it Reason: Domestic Incentives and the Politics of War and Peace. In Strategic Politicians and Foreign Policy.. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Gaubatz, K. T. Domestic Politics and War. The International Studies Compendium/ Blackwell / The International Studies Association
- Mielke, R. R., Scerbo, M. W., Gaubatz, K. T., and Watson, G. S. (2009). A Model for Multidisciplinary Graduate Education in Modeling and Simulation. A Model for Multidisciplinary Graduate Education in Modeling and Simulation, 5, (pp. 3-13).
- Gaubatz, K. T. (2009). City State Redux: Globalization and Optimal State Size. New Global Studies, 3 (1),
- Mielke, R. R., Scerbo, M. W., Gaubatz, K. T., and Watson, G. S. A Multidisciplinary Model for M&S Graduate Education. International Journal of Simulation and Process Modeling
- Gaubatz, K. T. (2002). The Hobbesian Problem and the Microfoundations of International Relations Theory. Security Studies, 11 (2),
- Gaubatz, K. T., and MacArthur, M. C. (2001). How International is International Law?. Michigan Journal of International Law, 22 (2), (pp. pp. 239-282.).
- Gaubatz, K. T. (2000). Political Competition and Foreign Policy Power Sharing. International Interactions, 26 (1), (pp. pp. 1-19.).
- Gaubatz, K. T. (1996). Kant, Democracy, and History. Journal of Democracy, 7 (4),
- Gaubatz, K. T. (1996). Democratic States and Commitment in International Relations. International Organization, 50 (1),
- Gaubatz, K. T. (1995). Intervention and Intransitivity: Public Opinion, Social Choice, and the Use of Military Force Abroad. World Politics, 47 (4),
- Gaubatz, K. T. (1991). Election Cycles and War. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 35 (2),
- Is it "The Economy, Stupid"? Candidate Attention to Foreign Policy and Economic Issues
- Conference Name: College of Business and Public Administration
- Sponsoring Organization: College of Business and Public Administration
- Location: Old Dominion University
- Date: November 6, 2009
Gaubatz, K. T. Presenter & Author
- Structured, Focused Uncertainty:
- Conference Name: American Political Science Association
- Sponsoring Organization: American Political Science Association
- Location: Toronto, Canada
- Date: September 3, 2009
Gaubatz, K. T. Presenter & Author
Drozdova, E. Presenter & Author
- A Multidisciplinary Model for M&S Graduate Education
- Conference Name: The Society for Modeling and Simulation
- Sponsoring Organization: The Society for Modeling and Simulation
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
- Date: April 14, 2008
Mielke, R. R.
Scerbo, M. W.
Gaubatz, K. T.
Watson, G. S.
- 2008: Academic Fellow, Foundation for the Defense of Democracy
- 1999: MA, Oxford University (by proclamation)
- 2009: ODU Teaching with Technology Award
- 1979: Phi Beta Kappa, U.C. Berkeley
- 1979: Varsity Letter, Fencing, U.C. Berkeley
- Susan Louise Dyer Peace Fellow, The Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Pew Faculty Fellowship in International Affairs, The Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- Peace Scholar, United States Institute of Peace
- MacArthur Dissertation Fellowship, Center for International Security and Arms Control, Stanford University
- Roothbert Fellow, Princeton Theological Seminary
- John Moors Cabot Fellow, The Fletcher School
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research