At Old Dominion, learning communities are groups of students who connect what they're learning with what they want to do: their majors, career choices, or their hopes for a better world.
(linked to sections of ENGL 110, English Composition)
In this learning community, you will explore personal fitness in relationship to mental health, body image, gender stereotypes, nutrition, popular culture, and social expectations.
Each LC member will develop an exercise routine based on their personal goals and a fitness evaluation conducted by a certified trainer provided by the Student Recreation Center. Students will work in five groups of four students with similar fitness interests/goals.
- Develop your skills in observation, thinking, ordering, and imagining.
- Collect ideas, shape and organize thoughts, then present those thoughts in coherent and focused essays and a formal presentation.
- Develop editing and revision skills used by successful speakers and writers
If you are interested in joining this community, simply register for one of the following sections of ENGL 110C:
- 10770 ENGL 110C, TR 01:30-02:45 pm
- 14339 ENGL 110C, TR 01:30-02:45 pm
- 15729 ENGL 110C, TR 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
- 19379 ENGL 110C, TR 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Why did you join the Personal Health and Wellness Learning Community?
My advisor talked to me about it in my Preview, and it sounded really unique - something I would really be interested in.
What is the best part about being in a Learning Community?
You get to tie something you love, in with the curriculum, which definitely keeps me focused and makes learning more engaging. And being surrounded by people who are all interested in the same thing makes learning much more enjoyable and fun. You can learn so much just by interacting with people with the same hobbies.
What has been your favorite Personal Health and Wellness Learning Community activity and why?
I have always loved working out and the wellness class introduced me to fitness groups. My favorite of all was Pilates. Love it, love it, LOVE it!
Hometown: Hampton, VA
Major: Exercise Science
Interests: Running, reading, listening to music