[ skip to content ]


Please note that professional staff in Visa & Immigration Service Advising (VISA) are the only persons authorized to sign visa applications for both Old Dominion University and the ODU Research Foundation. Immigration-related questions should be addressed to this office.

Information For International Employees

The University is very proud of our community with professors, researchers, and other professionals from around the world. Visa & Immigration Service Advising (VISA), one of the units of the Office of International Programs, is here to serve your needs, providing both legal services in the areas of immigration and tax advising, and other personal needs that are not met through your department. We hope that you will discover that Old Dominion is an outstanding place to work. In general, international employees come on either a J-1 visa or an H-1B visa. Clicking on these links can give you more information about the applicaton process for these statuses.

Should you have any questions about J-1s, H-1Bs or any other visa statuses, please feel free to contact VISA at 757.683.4756 or by e-mail.


VISA also provides services and programs for the dependents of our faculty and staff. Changes of immigration status, extensions, etc., are processed for eligible spouses and dependent children (i.e. under 21 years of age) along with employee petitions. In addition, dependents can also have access to basic English classes and other activities. Most immigration classifications given to dependents do not allow employment; nevertheless, volunteer opportunities may help provide for a better experience for your family.

On-Campus Employment

ISSS is the center of immigration-related services at ODU; there may, however, be instances when employment paperwork or authorization require additional work from another agency or office.