ISSS is the center of immigration-related services at ODU; there may, however, be instances when employment paperwork or authorization require additional work from another agency or office. We ask that you check with ISSS first to find out if additional assistance is needed and, if so, from where.
I-9 Paperwork & Processing
I-9 paperwork verifying international student employment eligibility is processed by International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) located 2006 Dragas. Days and hours for processing I-9 paperwork are the following:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m
- Tuesday and Thursday: 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
If you absolutely cannot make it to ISSS during the times above, please contact our office to request a specific time.
The student bring original documents that show eligibility of employment.
When the Research Foundation or the University employs an international student, we need a letter from the hiring department (on letterhead and with an original signature) stating the following information:
- Student's full name and UIN
- Employing department name, contact and phone number
- Name of student's direct supervisor
- Dates of employment
- Job title and wages (student hourly or graduate assistant)
Number of hours the student will be working per week in this position (a maximum of 20 hours)
- How is this position funded: Research Foundation or the University?
If a graduate assistantship is awarded, the student must request that his/her visa document be updated by ISSS. In addition, if a student has a hold which prevents registration, I-9 paperwork will not be processed. Please contact our office if you have any questions.