The University Medal is worn by the president during ceremonial occasions, signifying the office of the president of Old Dominion University.
A slightly reduced replica of the medallion worn by the president is given by the authority of the president and the Board of Visitors in recognition of outstanding service that has brought distinction to Old Dominion University and furthered its pursuit of excellence in teaching, research and public service.
Past Award Winners
- 2002 - James V. Koch, The Honorable G. William Whitehurst
- 1995 - George Dragas Jr '56
- 1994 - Peter G. Decker Jr. '56
- 1992 - Albert B. "Buck" Gornto Jr. '57
- 1991 - James L. Bugg Jr., Alfred B. Rollins Jr.
- 1990 - Hunter A. Hogan Jr.
- 1988 - Lewis David Hirschler
- 1987 - A. Rufus Tonelson '33, Thomas P. Chisman '69
- 1986 - George M. and Linda H. Kaufman, Virginia Rice Webb, Harry Hirsch Mansbach, Robert L. Fodrey Sr. '57
- 1982 - Elise N. and Henry Clah Hofheimer II
- 1980 - Frank Batten, Lewis W. Webb Jr.
- 1978 - Colgate W. Darden Jr., Charles L. Kaufman