- Academic Coaching
- Career Assessment
- Crisis Intervention
- Various Workshops & Presentations
We support the academic mission of the university by also providing academic coaching, career assessment, crisis intervention, consultation and a variety of workshops and presentations to assist you in reaching your personal, academic and career goals.
Our services are offered in an atmosphere that is welcoming and respectful of all students regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, citizenship or physical status.
Our staff is committed to your success and we are devoted to partnering with you to make your college years a satisfying experience.
If you decide that you would benefit from our services, please stop by 1526 Webb Center or call 757-683-4401 to schedule an appointment. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM, with the exception of being open until 7:00PM on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Guidelines For Helping Troubled Students
- Talk to the student in private.
- Listen carefully.
- Show concern and interest.
- Avoid criticizing or sounding judgmental.
- Repeat back the essence of what the student has told you.
- Use Counseling Services as a resource and discuss how a Counselor can be helpful to the student.
- If the student resists help and you are concerned, contact Counseling Services to talk about your concerns.
- Involve yourself only as much as you feel comfortable. Extending oneself can be a gratifying experience when kept within realistic limits.
Students pursue the help of a counselor for a variety of reasons. Usually they seek counseling to relieve the pressure of specific issues or symptoms, such as:
- dissatisfying socail relationships
- difficulty setting goals
- problems related to stress
- low self-confidence
- disappointing academic performance
- questions about sexuality
- mood swings
- family issues
- suicidal thoughts
- alcohol or drug issues
- decisions about a major or career
- sleep problems
- eating problems
- sexual assault or abuse
- mixed emotions
- pregnancy decisions
Counseling is a process of learning from the very experiences which are troubling for people. No problem is too big or too insignificant for discussing with a counselor. Keep in mind that numerous students use counseling services for a wide variety of reasons. At Old Dominion, counseling is considered a healthy choice.