Homesteading is the process by which students retain his/her current room for the 2013-2014 academic year. Please take a moment to read through these instructions to better understand the process.
Due to the 100% fill obilgations, this process is a manual paper process to ensure that all students reach an agreement in the desicsion of how to fill the room rather than whomever is able to log-in first.
Not all students are eligible to homestead and maintain their current room; please refer to these rules to determine if you are eligible:
- Students and all intended roommates need to apply for on-campus housing and pay the $250 deposit while applications are available.
- Students living in Rogers, Gresham, Whitehurst, England, and Scotland are not eligible to homestead as these are freshmen buildings.
- Students who live in the Virginia House who are NOT Honors College students are not eligible to Homestead.
- Students currently living in an apartment/residential community where homesteading is allowed must be able to fill the apartment/suite/room to 100% occupancy in order to homestead. If your current roommates are not returning, you must pull in other eligible students to fill the apartment/suite/room to 100%.
- If you are going to pull other students into the room/suite/apartment to fill the space to the occupancy requirement, please remember that you can only pull in other students who completed the application and are eligible for participation in the return housing process.
Once you have determined your eligibility to homestead and have made the decision that you wish to retain your room, follow these easy steps to complete the process:
- Print the Homesteading Form or pick up a copy in the Housing & Residence Life office (located in Suite 1208 of the Virginia House)
- Follow the instructions and complete the form
- Submit the form to the main Housing & Residence Life office by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 8, 2013 (we encourage you to submit the form as soon as you are able to complete it so that the office doesn't become backed up on the day of the deadline). Completed forms must be submitted in person so our staff members may verify the information and eligibility at the time of submission.
During the week of March 11-15, 2013 our staff members will manually assign you and any other students you pulled in. Confirmation emails will be sent by the close of business on March 15, 2013.