International Student Orientation
- 01/09/2013 10:00 AM - 01/09/2013 7:00 PM
- Webb University Center
- The Office of Intercultural Relations conducts an orientation for all incoming international students for the fall and spring semesters. These mandatory sessions provide crucial information for new students such as ISSS services, health insurance, ODU Public Safety, and the ODU Honor Code. Other sessions provide useful information about ODU services and American culture, from topics such as employment and U.S. banking to campus counseling and acculturation. Orientation informs students of necessary policies and tools that allow students to succeed at their new school.
Registration will be held prior to the start of Orientation, so please arrive early. You must have your UIN (University Identification Number) in order to register. You do not need to register in advance.
All new international students are required to attend orientation. If you do not attend, a hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to register for classes.
The orientation includes sessions on immigration/visa regulations, employment, health insurance, and safety. Additional sessions may include topics such as student organizations and activities, student health, US banking and finance, or buying a car. In one session, current international students will be available to answer your questions about living in the US and studying at ODU.
- A light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Arrive as early as possible so that you have enough time to register and get refreshments before the first session begins.
- Remember to bring your UIN (University Identification Number) to register. You do NOT need your ODU ID card - just your UIN.
- Orientation is mandatory. Therefore, you should not schedule outside appointments (with your academic advisor, apartment agent, etc.) for this day.
Contact Rachawan "Aey" Wongtrirat, International Initiatives Assistant Director, Office of Intercultural Relations.
If you would like assistance with transportation or accommodation upon your arrival in Norfolk, please view our information on Arrival Assistance. Other offices on campus may have additional services for you:
- For information regarding your application or admission to ODU, or regarding English proficiency requirements, contact International Admissions.
- For information regarding the SPEAK and TOEFL exams or the Bridge Program, contact the English Language Center.
- For information regarding immigration, dependents, or employment, contact International Student and Scholar Services.
Slides from previous orientation sessions are available here for download:
- Office of Student Activities and Leadership
- Academic Integrity
- Student Health Services
- Working on Campus
In addition, more information and presentations concerning orientation are available on the ISSS page.