“Harnessing the Power of the Ocean” A Unique Opportunity for Users of the Oceans
- 10/14/2012 9:00 AM - 10/19/2012 5:00 PM
- Virginia Beach Convention Center
- The OCEANS Conference series, jointly sponsored by the Marine Technology Society (MTS) and the Oceanic Engineering Society of IEEE (IEEE/OES), is a major international forum for scientists, engineers, and responsible ocean users to present the latest research results, ideas, developments, and applications in oceanic engineering and marine technology.
- Download event as ICS file
OCEANS 2012 Hampton Roads brings together the technology, people, and ideas that will help to expand the understanding of the earth's largest natural resource. Hampton Roads maritime heritage combined with its strategic location near key decision makers from the U.S. Government make this venue a perfect opportunity to address the challenges facing the world's users of the ocean.
OCEANS 2012's theme, Harnessing the Power of the Ocean, has as its foundation the conceptual National Ocean Enterprise that originates from ADM Watkins' vision, and identifies seven societal benefits:
- Improving predictions of climate change and weather, their effects on coastal communities and the nation
- Improving the safety and efficiency of marine operations
- Mitigating the effects of natural hazards
- Improving national and homeland security
- Reducing public health risks
- Protecting and restoring healthy coastal marine ecosystems
- Enabling the sustained use of marine resources
This conference will focus on technical excellence with:
- More than 12 supporting simultaneous technical tracks
- Keynote executive speakers from Government, academia, and industry
- Interdisciplinary town halls to address key issues from the National Ocean Policy
- Discover and evaluate products and services from hundreds of vendors
Plenary Keynote Speakers: 08:00 - 10:30 am Tuesday Morning
- Mayor William D. Sessoms Jr., Virginia Beach
- US Congressman Scott Rigell, 2nd Congressional District of Virginia
- Margaret Davidson, Acting Director NOAA Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Mngt.
- Dr Kathryn D. Sullivan, Asst. Sec. of Commerce for Environmental Observation & Prediction
- RADM Guadagnini, Deputy CDR Fleet Management and Chief of Staff U.S. Fleet Forces Cmd.
- RADM Jon White, Oceanographer and Navigator of the Navy