[ skip to content ]

Instant Career Assistance

Need help with your Resume?

You only get one chance to make a good first impression. Do you homework, Resume writing and professional communication are key. Here are some resume tips to get started, check yourself, share with others, then get an expert opinion:

Request a Resume Review

As a DL student, it is easy to feel alone in furthering my career but CMC offers value and services to all ODU students. Get involved, and get ahead.

- Brent Ransom, Psychology - Lord Fairfax CC

Frequently Asked Questions

I need a job!

What is ODU CareerLink?

ODU CareerLink is our online database for all job opportunities and so much more! Whether you're looking for a part-time job, internship/co-op experience, entry level or experienced positions in your field, employers are looking for you in ODU CareerLink.

How do I find a job?

ODU CareerLink opportunities are posted just for ODU students and alumni along with an extended network of national jobs. ODU CareerLink Jobs are targeted by Position Type to help you look for campus, part-time, full-time, or internship positions.

The Advanced Search allows you to Save a job Search Agent and Schedule to receive jobs you qualify for based on your specific needs.

What is a search agent?

A search agent sends you an email anytime new positions enter the ODU CareerLink system based upon the criteria you specify.

The Advanced Search allows you Save a job Search Agent and Schedule to receive jobs you qualify for based on your specific needs.

I need a Resume to get a job?

How do I get my resume reviewed?

You can email your Resume to our Cyber Career Coaches for an online review cybercoach@odu.edu OR stop by our Cyber Career Center in 2202 Webb Center during our drop-in hours.

Do I need to make an appointment to have my resume reviewed?

No! You can email your Resume to our Cyber Career Coaches for an online review cybercoach@odu.edu OR stop by our Cyber Career Center in 2202 Webb Center during our drop-in hours. No appointment necessary!

Can you help me with my CV?

Sure! To get you started, check out the Curriculum Vitae section on our website for info, outlines, and faculty samples! Once you have your draft together, drop-in or email a Cyber Coach for a review!

How do I get my resume approved for College of Business?

Every student who wishes to be admitted to the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) is required to complete several application steps, one of which is to have their resume approved by a member of the Career Management Center:

  1. Email an electronic copy of the resume to cybercoach@odu.edu.
  2. Visit Constant Hall 1011 during CMC Office Hours with a paper copy of the resume.

How do I know if my resume is approved?

If you email your Resume to a Cyber Coach, you will receive an email response with feedback directly from the reviewer asking for revisions or informing you that the resume was approved. During peak periods, please allow one to two business days for the review to be completed. If you attend office hours, you will receive immediate feedback.

How long does it take for my resume approval to show up in Degree Works?

Normally the Degree Works note appears within 24 hours of the review. During peak periods, this update could take up to 3 business days. If you think your Degree Works note is missing and you feel an error has occurred, please email an electronic copy of the resume to cybercoach@odu.edu. Our Resume Review team will review our internal notes and either correct the error immediately or email you with details. The email reply will include the individual person who is handling your request and you can correspond with them directly once you get to this stage.

How do I get internship experience?

How do I get credit for my internship?

Internships are an agreement between you, the employer, and the University. When receiving credit, requirements are guided by your college/major and often include a minimum class standing/credit hours and grade point average with an evaluation and written reflection due by the end of the semester.

You will need an approved Resume and Internship Orientation to begin the process: Please see steps for your college and contact your internship/co-op liaison/coordinator for specific questions.

Can I get paid for an internship?

An internship can be credit or non-credit and paid or unpaid (one is not dependent on the other). All financial arrangements are the responsibility of the employer.

Students with a Federal Work Study award working for approved non-profit organizations or government agencies may be able to earn FWS funds with the CSI Program which is administered by the Career Management Center.

I need more information about student employment:

Where can I find an on-campus job?

Your first stop is ODU CareerLink. All Federal Work Study positions and dozens of other Campus Student Hourly positions are posted there. If you need help in creating and saving your job search, visit our Cyber Career Center or email cybercoach@odu.edu for assistance from a cyber career coach.

Do you have to file for FAFSA in order to work on campus?

No, you do not need to complete a FAFSA to work on campus. However, there are hundreds of campus work opportunities available for students who have completed their FAFSA. Filling out your FAFSA may provide you with additional opportunities for Federal aid; including loans, grants, and Federal Work Study Awards. Federal Work Study jobs require an award to apply, but you are eligible to apply to campus student hourly positions without an award or FAFSA application.

All of our positions are posted online in ODU CareerLink. All degree-seeking students have an account and can access CareerLink using the Monarch Key login with their MiDAS ID and Password. In CareerLink, just upload your resume and this will allow you to apply to jobs! If you do not have a resume, we have tips and samples to get you started and Cyber Coaches available to assist you.

Although a FAFSA is not required, we encourage you to fill one out through Financial Aid; you may be eligible for federal aid which will widen your net of on-campus work opportunities by making you eligible for federal work study jobs.

How do I know if I am eligible for FWS?

Check your award notification from Financial Aid or LEO Online. Eligible students who filed a FAFSA form for financial aid are given FWS amount to accept or decline from the Old Dominion University Office of Financial Aid.

How do I accept my FWS award?

Once in the LEO Online Financial Aid review screen, choose accept (or decline) for the FWS offer. Once accepted, FWS awards must be earned and eligibility must be maintained; FWS awards are not automatically applied to your student account.

I have accepted a FWS award, what do I do now?

Once you have accepted a FWS award you can search for a position that will allow you to earn your award:

  1. Log into CareerLink
  2. From the "Jobs" tab and select "ODU CareerLink Jobs"
  3. In the "Position Type" Drop down menu, select "Federal Work Study (FWS)"
  4. Click Search

All available positions are posted and new positions are added regularly. If you do not find a suitable position, please save a job Search Agent to receive an automated job update:

  • Select the "Advanced Search" tab to save, name, and submit your search
  • Schedule your search from the "Search Agent's" tab

How do I apply for a FWS program?

Different positions have different processes to apply for the positions. Details about applying will be mentioned on the job ad. One way to prepare yourself for the process would be to develop a basic general resume. We have Cyber Coaches to assist you, but to get started; here are some Resume Samples to use as a guide!

What forms do I need once I am hired?

Complete the Pre-Employment Application Package. You will need to print these forms and bring them along with your valid picture ID and original Social Security Card in person to an LEAP/FWS Information Session available three times during your Preview date (3:30 & 4:30pm) and on the last Friday of the month (12:30 - 1:30pm).

Filling out this paperwork does not guarantee a job, it does help expedite the process and save valuable time.

Do I need to attend an information session?

Information Sessions are scheduled on an as needed basis. Please check the CMC calendar to see when the next "FWS Information Session" or "Last Friday" Session is scheduled.

I have a FWS award, does this mean I have a guaranteed job?

A FWS award does not guarantee employment. Like any other job, FWS has a competitive hiring process and you will need to complete a FWS job search in ODU CareerLink. There are a limited amount of FWS opportunities each semester, so apply early.

What is the difference between LEAP and FWS?

LEAP and FWS are very similar but are still different. LEAP (Learn and Earn Advantage Program) is a freshman employment program that allows students to mix Learning with Earning. Students in this program are placed in different departments around campus and are able to earn a pay check while also taking a weekly class that will teach about professionalism and other workforce readiness skills. FWS (Federal Work Study) is open to any student that applies and is awarded FWS through Financial Aid. FWS students are not placed but instead find and apply for jobs on their own.


LEAP stands for Learn Earn Advantage Program. LEAP places freshman in jobs around campus. The student chooses to work in one of four categories and then the LEAP Coordinator works to place the student in that job on campus based on availability of positions in that category.

The LEAP II Program allows sophomore students to work on campus in a role that is closer related to their major and is geared to prepare students for internships or other work options after their sophomore year. Only sophomore students successfully completing the LEAP program are eligible for LEAPII.

What are AR, AC, CSI, STAT?

AR is short for America Reads. This is a program that allows students that have been awarded FWS to work in various public elementary schools across Hampton Roads. The students primary role would be to help with any literacy projects which can include reading with the child, having the child read to you or involvement with family literacy events.

AC is short for America Counts. This program is very similar to America Reads except it works with math opposed to literacy.

CSI is short for Community Service Internship. This program allows students to use their FWS to work in various nonprofits in the Hampton Roads area. Students are able to investigate and choose their placement selection site or a Student Employment Coordinator can help the student identify a placement site (all placement sites must be approved by Student Employment Coordinator prior to start). Students work can range from basic helping at a front desk, tutoring in any subject or coordinating various events. The possibilities are truly endless and the flexibility is amazing with this program. AR, AC and CSI are all off campus programs so students are responsible for finding their own transportation to and from their work sites. An additional bonus is that depending on your major, the CSI program can be used in conjunction with an internship for academic credit (all internship advising should be discussed with your personal advisor prior to registering for internship, the Student Employment Team does not guarantee that any CSI site participate will be a viable internship for academic credit).

AR, AC and CSI are all off campus programs so students are responsible for finding their own transportation to and from their work sites.

STAT is short for Student Temporary Assist Team. This program is great for a student with a busy schedule that only wants to work occasionally or for a student that is looking to gain more experience and meet various members in different departments around campus. This program allows students to tailor their work schedule to be whatever they want it to be. This program, offers students the flexibility to work as many (up to 20) or few hours they want per week.

How do I find a FWS job?

All Federal Work Study positions are posted in CareerLink. If you need help in creating and saving your job search, visit our Cyber Career Center for assistance from a cyber career coach. As with all positions in ODU CareerLink, a resume is required for application. We have Cyber Coaches to assist you, but to get started; here are some Resume Samples to use as a guide!

There are no jobs in CareerLink. What else can I do?

Keep checking, jobs are posted every day. You should also consider talking to various friends, ODU staff and faculty members that you have a relationship with as they may have other suggestions for you. You may also set up a search agent that will inform you when jobs become available.

How do I apply for a job in the café, dining halls or The Ted Constant Convocation Center?

Jobs in the Café and dining halls or any other eating establishments on campus would fall under Aramark. You apply to Aramark positions in person. The Monarch Dining Office located in 2101 Webb Center. For positions at the Ted Constant Convocation Center, please visit the Global Spectrum career page.

Does CMC offer jobs at ODU-VA Beach?

There are student jobs available at ODU-VA Beach; however, those jobs are student hourly and not managed by the Career Management Center. Most of those positions are posted in CareerLink.

Does CMC offer job search assistance to student military veterans?

Yes- CMC offers job search assistance via a team of Student Veterans Consultants including resume review, military ratings/MOS to civilian occupation translation assistance, networking with military veterans friendly employers, special events and job fairs, and job postings through ODU CareerLink and other resources. Please contact Career Management Center at (757) 683-4388 to schedule an appointment to meet with one of our Student Veterans Consultants.

Are their on-campus part-time job opportunities for student veterans?

Yes-If you are a student veteran who is attending ODU under the GI Bill and attending ODU at least 12 semester hours , you may be eligible to work in an on campus department as VA Work Study up to 20 hours per week (paid by the VA) as part of your GI Bill benefit package. Please contact Randy Shabro, Director, in the Career Management Center for more details on the VA Work Study program at (757) 683-4388 or rshabro@odu.edu.

I need personalized help with interviewing!

Can I schedule a Mock Interview with a CMC staff?

The Career Management Center offers a multi-day Mock Interview program in the fall and spring semesters where you can practice your interview skills with employers in-person and virtually! Login to your ODU CareerLink account or call 757-683-4388 for information on dates and to RSVP.

Miss the Mock Interview Program? Email cybercoach@odu.edu to request one!

How do I sign up for a mock interview program?

Our mock interview program is scheduled each Fall and Spring semester and allows you to practice the interviewing process with real employers. Mock interview sign up is the same as our on-campus interview process.

Do you offer virtual interviews?

Sure! Email cybercoach@odu.edu for details and to schedule