Teacher Candidate Internship Placement - Fall 2014
|Semester of Internship for all Locations||Application Available
||Late Deadline*||Extended Deadline**
|Spring 2014||April 1, 2013||August 1, 2013||September 1, 2013||October 1, 2013|
|Fall 2014||October 1, 2013||February 1, 2014||March 1, 2014||April 1, 2014|
|Spring 2015||April 1, 2014||August 1, 2014||September 1, 2014||October 1, 2014|
|Fall 2015||October 1, 2014||February 1, 2015
||March 1, 2015||April 1, 2015|
*placements are not guaranteed after this date
**Applications are not accepted after the extended dealine
- Print the entire Application packet in single pages. Click here.
- Teacher Candidates requesting a placement in the following school division(s) must attach the respective form with the Application packet. Click on the title to download the form:
- Chesapeake Public Schools
- Norfolk Public Schools
- Suffolk Public Schools
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools (fillable form)
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.
- Complete and sign all the forms in the application packet, including the Norfolk Placement form (even if you are not requesting to be placed with Norfolk Public Schools).
- Keep the Cover Letter and Background Information sheet *.
- After you have met with your academic advisor, submit the completed and signed application packet to Teacher Education Services, 152 Education Building, by the established deadline above.
- Print the entire Application packet. Click here.
- Schedule an appointment with your local ODU Site Director.
- Complete and sign all the forms in the application packet with your Site Director.
- Keep the Cover Letter and the Backgroung Information sheet *.
- Submit the completed and signed application packet to your Site Director by established deadline above. The completed application packet is sent by Site Director to Teacher Education Services, 152 Education Building.
- Teacher Candidates requesting a placement in the following school divisions must attach the respective form with the Application packet. Click on the title to download the form:
- Arlington Public Schools
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Roanoke County Public Schools
- Fredericksburg City Public Schools
- Prince William County Public Schools
- Henrico County Public Schools
- Stafford County Public Schools
- Spotsylvania County Public Schools
- Frederick County Public Schools: Currently, we are not able to accept placement requests for Frederick County. We are working with Frederick County to resolve this situation. Please identify a surrounding county in your placement request.
For a of school divisions in the Commonwealth of Virginia requiring Backgroung Check for student teaching placement, see the list below. Tthe school division will inform you which forms need to be completed.
- Praxis I, Praxis Core, or equivalent;
- Praxis II, including individual sub-test scores on the back page;
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment;
- Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE)* for pk-3, pk-6 and special education programs;
*Teacher Candidates who have earned a passing score on the Virginia Reading Assessment prior June 30, 2011 are not be required to take the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) assessment.
- ALL course work, content knowledge and professional education as listed in your curriculum, must be completed prior to the orientation meeting;
- ALL GPA and grades requirements must be met as listed in your curriculum
This handbook is to guide teacher candidates, supervising clinical faculty, university faculty, administrators, university supervisors and other personnel involved in the teacher candidate internship. In this handbook we anticipate your questions and provide information that will facilitate an effective teacher candidate internship. This handbook addresses objectives, policies and procedures, roles and responsibilities, activities, and evaluations.
Download the handbook
The purpose of this option is to allow ODU teacher candidates to accept a full time teaching contract when offered at the time they are to begin student teaching. This option allows the teacher candidate to participate in and receive credit for their student teaching requirement. This option is not allowable for candidates who are already teaching under a provisional license.
Download and print application and policy
Old Dominion University graduates or post-baccalaureate endorsement program completers who are applying for an initial Virginia teacher license must submit the following documents to Teacher Education Services, Education Building, Room 152, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia 23529: Effective July 1, 2013 Candidates must submit the new Application for a Virginia License effective July 1, 2013. Follow the instructions by clicking on the link below for Application and Checklist for Teachers and Administrators Applying for a Virginia License. FMI: 757-683-3348
- Application and Checklist for Teachers and Administrators Applying for a Virginia Professional License - complete and sign it. The Office of Teacher Education Services will process your application package. A copy of the college verification and the application will be sent to you. The application package will be submitted by Teacher Education Services to the Virginia Department of Education. Once your license is issued, VDOE will mail you the certificate directly to the address indicated on the application.
- Application and Checklist for a Virginia Pupil Personnel License
Students applying for a School Pupil Personnel License in Virginia (school counselors prek-12 and speech pathologist prek-12) complete this application.
Follow instructions on the checklist accordingly.