Transfer of Records to Special Collections
Do you have records with historic value that are scheduled to be transferred to the Special Collections and University Archives in Perry Library? Contact the University Records Manager to review your historic records and assist with your transfer.
More information about what type of records the Special Collections and University Archives is seeking can be found on the Perry Library's website.
Each state agency is required to designate a records officer to be responsible for the operation of the records management program at that agency. Oversight of University records retention and disposition is the responsibility of the University Records Manager who reports to the Information Security and Records Office.
What is Records Management
Records management is the administrative term for the process of:
- the maintenance of currently-active, administratively-useful, public records;
- the disposition of public records that no longer serve administrative, legal, fiscal, or historical purposes; and
- the preservation of those records that have historical value or that must be preserved by law or for other reasons.
Old Dominion Compliance with Act
The University requires all faculty and staff to cooperate with the University Records Manager and adhere to the provisions of the Public Records Act, the regulations of the Library of Virginia and of the University concerning public records.
To assist ODU offices and departments, The University Records Manager offers the following services:
- consultations on creating and maintaining efficient record-keeping systems;
- assistance with and approval of the destruction of public records (RM3 forms);
- research and development of policies relating to the management, maintenance and retention of records;
- information and updates on records management issues;
- maintenance of a mailing list for discussion among records management liaisons; and
- training sessions on all aspects of records management including email, electronic records, and filing/storage solutions.
View ODU's Records Management Policy (#3700)
Before destroying public records under the Virginia Public Records Act, you must complete certain forms and regulations.
ODU’s electronic mail (e-mail) policy is to retain messages only as long as necessary for business purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Selected section of the Public Records Act.