Reminder: old emails are purged automatically
This is just a reminder that ODU’s email retention policy is in effect. This policy went live back in May of 2009.
Please make sure that you familiarize yourself with the email retention policies at ODU. ODU has a system that will automatically delete older messages unless you move them to them out of the default folders.
Retention policies currently in effect:
- Calendars: Entries are retained for 2 years.
- Inbox: Messages are retained for 1 year from the date of the message
- Sent Mail: Messages are retained for 2 years from the date of the message
- Drafts: These will be held for 30 days and then moved to the Deleted Items folder.
- Junk E-Mail: These will be held for 30 days and then moved to the Deleted Items folder.
- Deleted Items: Messages are retained for 3 days and are available for users to recover from the server for 30 days.
- Managed Folders: Marked permanent, 10 years, 5 years, 3 years, and 2 years.
The short version: if you want to keep something for more than a year, move it out of the default folders.
For more info, see this handy PDF:
Full details about the retention policy can be found here:
Posted By: Aaron Smith
Date: Thu Sep 12 08:50:54 EDT 2013