[ skip to content ]

Cancelling Your Housing & Dining Agreement

By completing a Housing and Dining application, students are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of the Housing and Dining Agreement. Completion requires the submission of the electronic application, a $50.00 non-refundable application fee, a $200.00 housing deposit (which is applied towards the student's spring housing bill), and the submission of a Statement of Agreement (for students under 18 years of age at the time of application).

3. Duration of the Agreement

This agreement is binding for the entire agreement period (including summer, where applicable) or the portion of the agreement period remaining at the time of occupancy. Failure to claim a key and/or ID card does not release a student from the agreement. This agreement cannot be terminated by the Resident except under the conditions listed in the Petition for Release.

  1. The Resident agrees to vacate the assigned room within 24 hours upon loss of status as an enrolled student during this agreement, if the Resident fails to register for credit course work and within 24 hours after his/her last exam.

  2. The University reserves the right to use a student's disciplinary status as a factor in providing on-campus housing.

8. Agreement Cancellations

  1. The Housing & Dining Agreement is for the full academic year and may be cancelled if the Resident provides written cancellation on or before May 15. If cancelled prior to May 15, the student will receive a full refund of the $200.00 housing deposit and will be released from his/her agreement. Starting May 16, the agreement is final and can only be broken through the Cancellation/Petition for Release processes which have specific eligibility requirements and are not guaranteed.

  2. A student applying for housing for the spring semester only must cancel in writing on or before December 1 to be eligible to receive a refund of the $200.00 pre-paid housing fee. Starting December 2, the agreement is final and can only be broken through theCancellation/Petition for Release processes which have specific eligibility requirements and are not guaranteed.

  3. If the Resident fails to occupy the assigned room by 6:00 p.m. on the first day of classes, the assignment may be cancelled unless the individual makes a written request to the Housing & Residence Life to hold the room until a later date. However, non-occupancy of the assigned space does not terminate the Housing & Dining Agreement.

  4. If a student enters into a Housing & Dining Agreement, but does not cancel and is enrolled in classes as an Old Dominion University student, he/she will be held financially responsible for the entire agreement, minus the pre-paid housing fee.

  5. Any student who cancels after the deadline (or is approved for a Petition for Release), regardless of the reason, forfeits the $200.00 housing deposit; there are no exceptions.

9. Cancellation/Petition for Release Policies

  1. Residents are eligible to cancel his/her Housing and Dining Agreement through theCancellation Form at any time if they meet certain requirements. The following situations will automatically release a student from his/her obligations:

    • Withdrawal/Transfer from Old Dominion University and the student is no longer registered for any credit hours
    • Academic Suspension/Dismissal
    • Marriage during the agreement period.
    • Affiliation with Old Dominion University programs that are away from campus (i.e. internships, student teaching, study abroad, etc.).
    • Military activation
    • December graduation (May graduates will not be released from his/her summer obligations if applicable)
  2. Residents can request release from the agreement through the Petition for Release process, but such releases are subject to the approval of the Executive Director for Housing & Residence Life or his/her designee. Such releases will be considered for the following reasons:

    1. Extreme, unanticipated financial hardship
    2. Serious medical or health problems which are directly related to and/or cannot be accommodated successfully in any of the residential complexes.
  3. Substantiated documentation for all these releases should be submitted with any requests for consideration for an agreement release to the Housing & Residence Life office.

  4. Full explanations of the Cancellation Form and Petition for Release process are available from any Housing & Residence Life staff member prior to the start of the agreement period. Once the agreement period has begun, Residents must meet with his/her Residence Hall Director to receive the required paperwork.

10. Withdrawal Policy

If a student withdraws from the University, having obtained and completed appropriate forms from the University, the housing and dining fees will be refunded according to established University policies. If the Resident is eligible for pro-rated charges, the charges will be pro-rated based on the Resident's official date of check-out (i.e. removal of all belongings from assignment, complete required paperwork, and return room key to Front Desk).