[ skip to content ]

Understanding Your Housing Agreement

The Housing & Dining Agreement is a legally binding agreement between the student and the University, specifically with Housing & Residence Life. Each year, students must re-sign an agreement if they wish to remain on-campus.

Application Process Highlights for 2013-2014

  • Admittance to Old Dominion University is required to be eligible to apply for housing.
  • On-campus housing is ONLY guaranteed for incoming New Students (see Glossary for definition) prior to May 15, 2013.
  • Students who currently live on campus can begin to apply near the end of January for 2012-2013 on-campus housing.
  • In mid-May a determination will be made IF a waitlist application will open for any student who lives of-campus or missed the Return Housing process.
  • Read the application, agreement terms, and conditions before completing the process.
  • Retain copies of your completed application and agreement for future reference.
  • A $200 deposit and $50 non-refundable application fee is required at the time of application. It may be paid through the online application process or mailed to the Office of Finance. The housing deposit may be refunded (minus the $50 nonrefundable portion) if cancelling prior to the the May 15, 2012 deadline.Cancellations can be processed in the Student Housing Portal until the deadline.
  • If you apply after the May 15, 2013 deadline, you will not receive a refund for your deposit if housing application is approved for a cancellation.
  • Although the University will try to match your requests, room assignments are not guaranteed.

Conditions in Brief

  • The Housing Application/Agreement is a legally binding document and should be read completely before the resident signs the Agreement.
  • The agreement is valid for the specific agreement periods. Check the agreement periods listed in the Housing & Residence Life Handbook.
  • Residents are responsible for being aware and abiding by the rules and regulations of the University.
  • Residents may not sublet on-campus living spaces.
  • The agreement may be cancelled only as stipulated in the Terms and Conditions.
  • Once resident reserves a room, he/she is obligated to the terms of the agreement. Personal decisions to move to off-campus housing after signing the Housing Agreement do not release residents from the financial debt.
  • Some residence halls require the resident to agreement for both the room and meal plan.
  • No person may live in the residence halls if they are not enrolled for classes for the terms of the agreement.
  • Residents who elect to move to another residence within the term of the agreement period continue to be responsible for the contracted meal plan.
  • The University is not liable for personal loss of money or valuables. Residents are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover such losses.
  • The University may terminate the agreement for disciplinary reasons.

About Cancelling Your Agreement

From time to time, it becomes necessary for students to consider cancelling their agreement or withdrawing from residence. Before this happens, students are strongly advised to meet with the Residence Hall Director (RHD). The RHD can provide options, resources, and referrals to assist students in their decision-making process.

The cancelling of your agreement can come with a penalty. Residents are released from their obligation in the following cases only.

  • Withdrawal or graduation from the university (December ONLY)
  • Student teaching outside of commuting distance
  • Marriage (proof required)
  • An involuntary call-up for military service
  • Transfer to another university (proof required)
  • Co-op, internship or similar approved programs outside
  • Participation in an approved exchange program of commuting distance