The Office of International Programs collaborates with faculty in colleges throughout the university on the development and support of partnerships with institutions overseas; the creation of opportunities for students to participate in education abroad through a combination of consortia, bilateral exchanges, and faculty-led programs; and the provision of career and academic preparation for non-native English speakers through a well-regarded English Language Center.
Preparing our students to succeed and excel in a diverse, multicultural environment requires an understanding and appreciation of the world around us.
Providing students with a foundation in international education enables them to:
- Develop an understanding of global issues that affect the daily lives of all;
- Make informed judgments regarding world and local issues;
- Compete successfully in a global economy;
- Appreciate the diversity represented on campus and in the community;
- Contribute to possible solutions to world challenges in the areas of health, environment, politics, conflict resolution, and social justice.
The ELC offers full and part-time courses in English as a Second Language. There is an Intensive Program for students who need in-depth study of English and a Bridge Program for students who have been conditionally accepted by the University.
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) is responsible for providing support programs and advising services which help to ensure the academic and personal success of our international student and scholar community.
Old Dominion University encourages all students to consider studying abroad for a summer, semester, or full year as part of their academic experience.