Residence Hall Directors (RHDs) and Resident Assistants (RAs) are what make living on campus an enjoyable experience. Staff members assume an active leadership role through the development and preservation of a positive living and learning environment within the residential communities. It's a tough round the clock job ensuring that every student has a safe and comfortable place to grow academically as well as personally.
Strategically placed in every floor of every hall on campus, you are encouraged to befriend and interact with your Resident Assistants - afterall they are fellow Monarchs and love ODU as much as you.
Resident Assistant Responsibilities
- Serves as a role model by exercising good judgment; following all University and departmental policies; and maintaining good academic standing.
- Develops relationships with people interacting with Housing & Residence Life and works to offer personal assistance to each one.
- Identifies and offers assistance to students who have personal, academic, health, or other concerns.
- Assists students in resolving conflicts.
- Provides information, support, and guidance to community members and refers students as needed to appropriate professionals.
- Encourages residents to utilize campus and community resources.
- Preserves the confidentiality of personal interactions and students when appropriate.
- Commits to developing a community that is safe, open, and supportive.
- Enforces hall regulations and maintains standards of community behavior.
- Promotes an understanding of State and Federal Laws, University and Housing policies and procedures, the Student Code of Conduct, and the Monarch Creed.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Residence Hall Director.
- Works cooperatively with other paraprofessional staff, professional staff, and support staff.
- Responds to and reports all maintenance, security, student concerns and/or incident in a prompt manner.
- Attends and participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Attends weekly and bi-weekly one on one meeting with his or her supervisor.
- Provides front desk coverage within the assigned residential community.
- Performs administrative tasks assigned.
- Performs behind the scene tasks associated with opening residence halls.
- Implements residence hall and University policies and procedures.
- Performs staff duties at any time in the event of policy violations or health, life safety, and other emergencies or significant campus events.
- Actively participates in ongoing training and development programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.