[ skip to content ]
MonarchTeach seeks to...
- Increase significantly the number of students who will become the next generation of Mathematics, Science, and Technology teachers in Virginia and across the country.
- Develop outstanding teachers who will improve Mathematics, Science, and Technology education in their schools.
- Offer advice, mentoring, and financial assistance throughout the program and continued support after graduation.
- Promote mathematics, science, and technology in the community and improve the quality of STEM education in local schools.
The MonarchTeach program is...
- A unique collaboration between the College of Education and the College of Sciences at Old Dominion University, modeled after the nationally acclaimed UTeach program at the University of Texas at Austin.
- An innovative teacher preparation pathway that allows mathematics, science, and technology majors to receive teacher licensure while still earning their degree in mathematics, science or technology.
- A partnership between Old Dominion University, local public school divisions and a growing number of regional organizations with educational missions.
- Supported to date by the ODU College of Sciences, the ODU College of Education, and a grant from the Virginia Department of Education.
Benefits of the MonarchTeach program include...
- Receiving a degree in mathematics, science or technolog along with teacher licensure in four years.
- Personal support and guidance by highly qualified master teachers who have extensive high school teaching experience.
- Academic and social support from peers with similar career interests.
- Opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience beginning the first semester of your freshmen year.
- Feedback from mentor teachers, university faculty, and master teachers.
- Scholarships and paid internships in an educational setting.
- Access to a dedicated study area and resource room.
MonarchTeach students earn their mathematics, science or technology degree from the departments of...