- The Arrival Assistance Service is only available from August 4-18, 2014.
- The Arrival Assistance Service is only available for new international students.
- A new international student who wishes to receive the arrival assistance service must complete the arrival assistance online application and submit at least no later than 7 days prior to your arrival in Norfolk, VA.
- International students who arrive outside of the arrival assistance period and students with family must arrange their own transportation and accommodation at their own expense.
- Contact Information: Please email email@example.com or call ODU Police Department at 757-683-4000 in case of emergency.
Welcome to Old Dominion University! The Office of Intercultural Relations (OIR) is committed to your success during your academic experience at ODU!
Arrival Assistance: Fall 2014 (Available from August 4-18, 2014)
Upon request, there is pick up from the Norfolk airport (ORF) or bus station in Norfolk. Upon request and need, 1 or 2 nights of temporary accommodation will be arranged by OIR. Please note that the arrival assistance services restricted only for new international students.
Upon submitted request, pick-up service is available only from the Norfolk (ORF) airport or bus station in Norfolk to the temporary housing provided by OIR. If a student arrives in another city than Norfolk, it is the responsibility of the student to arrange the transportation at his/her own expenses.
Upon submitted request, temporary accommodation will be provided for a maximum of 2 nights. All temporary accommodations will be shared. A student who wishes to stay longer will be responsible to pay at his/her own expense.
If you receive assistance from a student organization, a member of that organization will pick you up at your port of arrival and/or provide you with temporary accommodation, depending on what service(s) you requested. Temporary accommodation provided by volunteer will resemble a home-stay or host family setting. You will stay with a student in his or her own apartment and most likely, you will share a bathroom and may sleep in a spare bedroom, or on a couch or air mattress.
Arrival Assistance Process
- A new international student submits the request online at least 7 days prior to arriving in Norfolk. Fall 2014 Application.
- Requests received after 7 days prior to Norfolk arrival will not be processed.
- The Office of Intercultural Relations (OIR) will send you a confirmation email confirming your application has been received.
- Upon your request, OIR will arrange with a volunteer for pick-up service. This process may take time to arrange and schedule with the volunteer. Thank you for your patience
- Once OIR receives a confirmation from the volunteer, OIR will send a notification via email which includes contact information of the volunteer who will meet you at the airport.
- It is your responsibility to reply the email to confirm with OIR that you received the email and agree to stipulated terms of the service(s). OIR reserve right to cancel the arrival assistance service if you do not reply an email to confirm of the service agreement we have arranged for you.
- Prior to your arrival, if there is any change to the original request, you must notify OIR immediately. Any change submitted less than 48 hours prior to your arrival may result in the cancellation of the arrival assistance service.
Important Arrival information
The Norfolk International Airport, is about nine and a half miles from ODU, and it takes about a 15 to 20 minute to ride in a car from the airport to the campus.
It is the responsibility of a student to arrange the transportation and the temporary accommodation at his/her own expenses if he/she arrive in another city than Norfolk or arrive in Norfolk outside of the arrival assistance period.
Many local hotels offer special ODU rates. These rates may not always be available during particular periods. Always contact the hotel directly to see if the ODU rate applies for the duration of your stay. Visit odu.edu/about/visitors/lodging for more information.
If you are an exchange student, please contact Office of Study Abroad for assistance:
- 2006 Dragas Hall
- Norfolk, VA 23529
- 757-683-5378 (office)
- 757-683-5196 (fax)
If you are an English Language Student, please contact the English Language Center for assistance: English Language Center
Dragas Hall 1108, Norfolk, VA 23529
Tel: (757) 683-4424 | Fax: (757) 683-4640
Website: English Language Center