- Campus Community Raising Red Flags to Draw Attention to Relationship Violence
- Sarai Sierra Case Dominates Turkish Media—To What End?
- Trying To Be Perfect Is Destroying Us All
The Women's Center offers programs and services designed to promote gender equity and address the unique challenges and opportunities female students encounter in the pursuit of higher education. Recognizing the critical role that both women and men play in promoting a safe environment free of gender bias, Center programs are designed to educate and inspire all students to achieve their personal, academic and professional potential.
Faculty & Staff: Interpersonal Violence Incident Report (IPVIR) Form
Students: Contact the Assistant Director, Joann Bautti at 757-683-4109 or visit The Women's Center, 1000 Webb Center, 8am-5pm M-F. For 24-hour assistance call ODU Police Department at 757-683-4000 or 911.
S.A.F.E. Click Here for Help
For more information click the button below for more resources!
Application Deadline: Closed!!
Check back in the spring semester for more details!
History of the Center
The ODU Women's Center was founded in October 1976 and is the oldest center on a Virginia college campus that has served students for over 30 years.
According to Pat Hyer, a founding mother, two grandmother centers were at the University of Michigan and the University of Minnesota (40th Annuall 2000). Founded as part of a movement of new centers designed for adult women considering entry or reentry into education or the workforce, often after children were grown or after a divorce. Over the years, we have continued assisting women with personal and professional development and specifically with transition issues to enter or return to college/workforce.
- Offered Continuing Education Courses, 1978-1996
- Four Take Back the Night Marches prior to and including 1983 (which included nationally recognized speakers Andrea Dworkin and Sonia Johnson).
- A Take Back the Night Rally in the Spring of 2005.
- Annual Every Woman's Festival, 1983-1991.
- Returning Women's Services significantly enhanced, 1986-Present.
- Sexual Assault Free Environment (S.A.F.E.) Program, 1990-Present.
- Moved from the little house on "token row" to Webb University Center, November 1993.
- Women's Institute for Leadership Development (W.I.L.D.), 1996-Present.
- Involved in First Annual Womengineers Day in April 2001.
Here at ODU we chose the week of March 8 to make International Women's Day the focal point of the observance.
Find more information about various women's topics from a variety of external sources.
Returning back to school can be a big decision for any type of family. Learn ways to adjust to all the changes.