[ skip to content ]

International Careers

International Career Advantage Program (ICAP)

Whether you are an international student looking for an internship or full time position here in the United States, or a US Citizen looking for an international experience the Career Management Center is here to assist you in obtaining an International Career Advantage.

Considering an internship abroad?

  1. Meet with your advisor to discusss academic fit and your financial aid counselor to determine funding.
  2. Identify international companies in your major and choose a location, CMC recommends Going Global as your primary resource for international employment opportunities.
  3. Be prepared to talk about how you will fund your experience before making an appointment with Erin Mills, International Career Advisor, together you will contact the recruiter and prepare your application materials.

ICAP can assist you with all parts of the planning process and together you, the Career Management Center, and the Office of Study Abroad will work closely to assist you in planning for your international internship experience.

Going Global?

CMC works closely with the following international internship providers:

International Studies Abroad (ISA)

International Studies Abroad (ISA) is a study abroad provider for 11 countries and 20 different cities! ISA has been providing study abroad programs since 1987 in cities in Argentina, Australia, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, England, France, Italy, Mexico, Peru and Spain. ISA works closely with universities to provide students with a study abroad experience that is academically challenging and culturally thorough.

CAPA International Education

CAPA International Education offers quality, affordable study abroad programs, consisting of academic classes and internships. Their mission is to provide learning abroad opportunities which genuinely educate students about the people and culture in which they are learning in a holistic educational environment. They have program destinations available in London, England, Sydney, Australia, Florence, Italy, and Beijing, China.

  GlobaLinks Learning Abroad

GlobaLinks Learning Abroad has over 20 years of experience working within the field of international education serving both students and advisors throughout North America. Through the educational programs of AustraLearn, AsiaLearn, and EuroLearn, GlobaLinks Learning Abroad provides a wide range of study abroad opportunities throughout Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Asia, and Europe.

Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)

Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is a consortium of US colleges and universities of including Old Dominion University. CIEE sponsors study abroad programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Oceania, Europe and the Caribbean, as well as work exchanges, volunteer programs, and travel services. ODU co-sponsors programs offered in Chile, the Dominican Republic, France (Rennes), Spain (Sevilla), and Japan (Japanese Business in Tokyo).

Frequently Asked Questions

How can the International Career Advantage Program help me in establishing my internship abroad?

The International Career Advantage Program (ICAP), a division of the Career Management Center at Old Dominion University provides assistance to students seeking internships in an international setting. Internships can be found in a number of fields and in a variety of countries abroad. The ICAP Coordinator, in conjunction with the office of Study Abroad, helps identify appropriate internship opportunities and provides support through the process of arranging and realizing an internship experience abroad. Globalization is a growing reality in employment as in many other areas of life. An international internship helps students prepare for a career in today's global work environment.

How is an internship different than studying abroad?

While the two are similar, an international internship is a practical work experience, while studying abroad focuses on taking classes in another country. The similarities between the two include: passports, visas, international travel, culture shock, and cultural understanding. This is why the ICAP Coordinator, and student work closely with the Study Abroad Office. All participants are required to meet with the Office of Study Abroad before leaving the country.

Who is eligible for an international internship?

Any Old Dominion University student at any level education (freshman through graduate students) is welcome to apply. Contact the ICAP coordinator at icap@odu.edu, or 757-683-4388 for more information.

Can I pursue an internship in any country?

The ICAP program works with international internship providers who have programs all over the world. The list on the ICAP web page is not exhaustive. In fact there are several other programs that students can pursue outside the list so long as they are reputable and accredited. The most important thing to remember is that the ICAP coordinator can assist you in locating the right program to suit your interests.

How soon should I begin searching for an internship?

How soon should I begin searching for an internship?

Students should begin searching and researching for internship opportunities between 6-12 months in advance. International internships can have deadlines as early as a year in advance; students also need time to prepare for funding, travel arrangements, and academic credit options.

Do I need a passport?

Yes - you must have a valid passport, and in some cases a visa. Students are encouraged to begin the visa and passport application process as early as possible. In lieu of stricter immigration laws in many countries, student must follow instructions provided by the necessary authorities (embassy) to ensure compliance.

What are the costs associated with an international internship?

International internships are typically unpaid. Internship program providers typically charge between $5,000.00-$10,000.00 US dollars. This largely depends on the region, length of program, type of placement, services arranged by the internship providers and level of exchange rate. It is important to remember that students who choose to participate and work in a different environment are there for the cultural experience - which in and of itself is priceless!

When are internships available? How long to they last?

Most international internships are in the summer, however there are some in combination with study abroad that are for the duration of the semester (fall and spring). The cost for full semester internships are typically higher, but the actual availability of the internship depends largely on the individual student and the length of time he/she is willing to commit.

How much academic credit can I get for my internship?

Generally student seeking academic credit will work toward fulfilling a 3-credit or 6-credit internship course depending on your academic department requirements. Each department has their own process and required documentation, students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor before arranging an appointment with the ICAP coordinator.

Keep in mind that in order to receive financial aid students must be registered for at least 12 credits during the fall and spring and 9 credits during the summer semester. Contact the financial aid office directly if you have questions pertaining to your eligibility for financial aid.

Are there scholarships available?

Yes - funding is available through financial aid, and students are welcome to apply for scholarships. The key to establishing the necessary funding is to begin the process in advance. Visit the ICAP and Study Abroad website for more information on available scholarships and contact the financial aid office directly if you have questions pertaining to your eligibility for financial aid.

Do I need insurance?

Some internship providers insist that students interning abroad have medical and accident insurance coverage. Other programs are more flexible. However, students and ENCOURAGED to have medical and accident insurance coverage. Students should also check with the sponsoring organization as they may have insurance coverage that might be appropriate.