English Proficiency Requirement
If your native language is not English you must provide evidence of English proficiency to enroll in classes.
Meet the requirement with any of the following
- Satisfactory test scores (refer to chart below).
- Bachelor's or Master's degree equivalent from an accredited institution in a country where English is the native language.
- Successful completion of two university- or college-level English courses at a regionally accredited U.S. institution. Successful completion is defined as obtaining a minimum grade of 'C' (2.00) in each of these courses. These courses must be equivalent to the University's English composition course(s) (see General Education Requirements, Lower-Division Written Communication section) and any other advanced composition or technical writing course. In addition, matriculated Old Dominion University / English Language Center students must receive prior approval from the Office of International Admissions to take English composition courses at another institution for the purpose of satisfying the English proficiency requirement.
- Complete Old Dominion University's Bridge Program, indicated by:
- Old Dominion University does not recognize institutional TOEFL exams taken at other institutions.
Test Scores for English Proficiency
|GRE (verbal reasoning)||150|
|SAT (critical reading)||480|
|GCSE or GCE||"O" level pass in English|
|CPE||C or higher|