The Darden College of Education prepares distinguished professionals who become leaders in their fields. The College is committed to excellence in teaching, scholarly activities, and service. Within the context of a diverse student population and faculty, the college strives to achieve its goals of excellence by meeting the needs of Virginia, the nation and the world.
U.S. News and World Report graduate school rankings place the Darden College of Education 65th out of 235 colleges of education. The graduate program in Counseling was ranked 18th in the same poll for 2012.
The Cochlear Implant research program for oral preschool children has drawn national attention. The Commonwealth Special Education Endorsement Program (CSEEP) has received the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teaching, and Human Movement Sciences faculty members have authored two national policy statements on exercise and health.
Most DCOE professional programs have achieved national distinction in one or more areas of research and teaching.
- Bray Named Dean
- Steve Tonelson and Sueanne McKinney Garner Awards at Education Foundation Gala
- Nina Brown Appointed to APA Accreditation Commission
- DCOE Online Degrees Ranked Among Nation's Most Affordable
- Helen Crompton Joins UN Project
- Monica Chattin Holland Honored as Virginia New Teacher of the Year
- Monarch Kid Cub Run - April 12, 7:30 a.m.
click to view our latest issue
click to learn more
- Athletic Training (M.S.Ed.)
- Counseling (M.S.Ed.)
- Early Childhood Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Educational Leadership & School Administration (M.S.Ed.)
- Elementary Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Exercise Science & Wellness (M.S.Ed.)
- Higher Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Library Science & Media (M.S.Ed.)
- Military Career Transition Program: Elementary Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Military Career Transition Program: Secondary Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Occupational & Technical Studies (M.S.)
- Reading Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Secondary Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Special Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Sport Management (M.S.Ed.)
- Park, Recreation and Tourism Management (Minor)
- Coaching Education (Minor)
- Human Services (Minor)
- Health and Wellness (Minor)
- Health Education
- Exercise Science (Minor)
- Fashion Merchandising (Minor)
- The Impact of Technology (Minor)
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Training & Development (Minor)
- Marketing Education (Minor)
- Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Sport Management (Minor)
- Special Education (Minor)
The departments within the Darden College of Education address education at all levels and from many approaches. If you're interested in education, you'll find it here.
Partnership is at the heart of the Darden College of Education. We offer programs to help stimulate the love of teaching and other opportunities for educators and the community.
- Career Switcher: Alternative Route to Teacher Licensure
- Center for Educational Partnerships
- Commonwealth Special Education Endorsement Programs
- Education to Go: Online Courses
- Military Career Transition Program
- Paraprofessional Preparation for Extraordinary Teaching (PPET)
- Personal and Professional Development Course
- Professional Development Courses for Counselors
- Professional Development Workshops for Counselors
- Reading Center
- Recertification Points for Teachers
- Teacher Immersion Residency Program
- Troops to Teachers
- Programs for Continued Learning