[ skip to content ]

International Student Health Insurance Requirement

Helpful Information About Using Your Insurance Plan

  • The semester health fee is not reimbursable by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. However, for other fee-for-service charges at the Student Health Center, just stop at the front desk on your way out to request an United claim form. A United claim form can also be downloaded from the United website. United will reimburse the student at 100%.

  • Utilize the services available at the Student Health Services to reduce your out-of-pocket costs (the amount you pay).

  • If you have an urgent health concern when the Student Health Center is closed, call ODU Police at 757.683.4000 and ask for the Student Health Services on-call clinician. The on-call clinician will return your call and advise you accordingly.

  • If you are referred to a health care provider or source of health care off-campus, ask if they are in the UNITED network since your out-of-pocket costs are lower by seeing in-network providers.

    UNITED: 800.767.0700
    Student Health Services: 757.683.3132

Paying for Your Insurance

Just as in the previous semester, your insurance will be added to your tuition statement when you register for courses. There are two ways to pay for your coverage: one payment or multiple payments. If you wish to make multiple payments, you can sign up for the payment plan which will break down all of your costs into four equal installments, thus giving you the benefit of not having to all of your tuition and fees at one time. The Payment Plan can be set up through Leoonline.

Coverage Dates for the Plan

Coverage dates are as follows:

Fall semester: 1 August 20XX to 31 December 20XX
Spring/summer semester: 1 January 20XX to 31 July 20XX

As an ODU international student, you are required to have health insurance at all times, thus the dates above. If you graduate in May or travel outside the United States for the summer, please know United will not provide a partial refund.

Insurance Enrollment

You are automatically enrolled for the continued coverage when you enroll for classes--whether you enroll for 1 credit or 15 credits. As always, you need to ensure that your SEVIS U.S. and U.S. "Permanent" addresses are up-to-date. Besides the need to have them updated for the insurance, remember that incorrect addresses are also a violation of your F-1 or J-1 visa status. (See the FORMS page of the VISA site for forms to update these addresses.)

Insurance Cards: No cards will be mailed upon enrollment. You can access, print out, and request a permanent insurance card upon registering online at My Account.


There are very limited circumstances in which students can be waived from United. Cases where an exemption may be possible (pending review of proper documentation):

  1. Student's parent or spouse is employed by an American organization providing health insurance via a U.S.-based insurance provider; and/or
  2. Embassy-sponsored students where the embassy is directly providing health insurance from a U.S.-based company and the coverage is equal to or greater than the benefits required by ODU; in addition, a copy of the current sponsorship letter is on file in VISA.

Both of the above items require documentation be submitted to ISSS. To be eligible for this waiver, the insurance in question must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be equal to OR greater than the insurance United provides, and
  • Comply with the Commonwealth of Virginia & the Affordable Care Act mandates, and
  • Be filed and approved for sale in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and
  • Contain unlimited coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains to your home country

If your documents meet the requirements, VISA will e-mail you so you can purchase medical evacuation and repatriation coverage, which is not a part of most U.S.-based employer plans. Once proof of this coverage is submitted to our office, your waiver request processing will continue and VISA will email you with the decision.

Waiver Form Information

Waivers for Continuing and New Students: If you meet one of the two waiver eligibilities above, please e-mail VISA to request the waiver form: please put WAIVER Fall 20XX OR WAIVER Spring 20XX in the subject line.

Waivers must be requested for each enrollment period; an approval from a previous semester is not a guarantee of approval for a new request. Please e-mail VISA to request the waiver exception form.

A completed waiver form - including all of the required documentation listed on the form - must be submitted to the VISA office by the deadline provided in the email sent to all students each semester.

No late submissions will be accepted.


J-2s must, per federal law, have insurance that meets requirements outlined by the Department of State and documentation must be submitted to VISA. United is still available for this coverage, if desired. Because of the very expensive U.S. health care system, F-1s are strongly encouraged to have insurance for their F-2 dependents at all times. If you wish to keep your dependents with United, you are welcome to do so. Please come to the VISA office to fill out an enrollment form for your dependents.