Blackboard Learn Migrates to Cloud Hosted Services
Blackboard Learn is moving from an on-campus configuration to a hosted service managed by Blackboard starting for the 2014 Summer sessions. Blackboard will be unavailable from 8 a.m., Thursday, May 15 through midnight, Saturday, May 17, 2014.
Please note the following:
- You must access and/or download grade information for uploading/posting in LEO Online by the grade deadline, 5 p.m., Tuesday, May 13, in order to meet the University deadline for reporting spring grades. You will not be able to access grades in Blackboard until May 17 after Blackboard services are restored.
- There will be no change to the version of the Blackboard Learn environment. ODU is currently running Blackboard Learn version 9.1 SP11.
- There will be no change in how you access Blackboard. Faculty, staff, and students can still access Blackboard from the University Portal at https://my.odu.edu or can go to the existing URL (https://www.blackboard.odu.edu), login with their MIDAS ID and password, access and manage all their courses.
- All data and work in Blackboard will be moved to the hosted environment.
Dave Hamel is leading this effort for ITS. Please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions or concerns.
With this change, we believe the higher level of monitoring and support directly from Blackboard will result in improved service and performance levels for the ODU Blackboard Learn environment. In addition, the hosted service will enhance the Disaster Recovery plan for this critical environment.
This change will require up to a 72-hour outage with no access to Blackboard from May 15 - May 17. All your courses will be moved for you. This includes all the courses in the current Blackboard environment to include, but not limited to: current Spring semester, Summer Courses, and Fall, 2014 courses. Access will remain the same, the versions of Blackboard will remain the same and all your courses, including any changes you recently made will be moved over for you.
All grades are officially reported in Leo Online. The University deadline for reporting spring grades is 5 p.m., Tuesday, May 13. If you have not accessed your grade information in Blackboard before system access is no longer available, you may not be able to report your spring grades by the deadline.
All your courses, including any changes you made just prior to the Blackboard outage on May 15, will be moved over for you. With the Summer semester starting on May 18, it may be beneficial for faculty teaching summer courses to prepare their courses early so they are ready immediately once Blackboard services are restored.
- You must access and/or download grade information to be posted in LEO Online by the grade deadline, 5 p.m., Tuesday, May 13.
- Remember that Blackboard will be unavailable between 8 a.m. May 15 and midnight May 17, 2014.
- Access to Blackboard will not change. You will continue to go to blackboard.odu.edu and enter your MIDAS ID and password.
- Whatever changes you had made in preparation for summer or fall semester will be available in the new environment.
Students will be unable to access Blackboard between May 15 and May 17; students will not notice any other changes.
There will be no changes to the Blackboard interface. Support material will remain the same and can be accessed at: http://www.odu.edu/ts/software-services/blackboard