Quick Facts about Filipino Americans in the United States and Hampton Roads Area
Below are facts and figures about the Fil-Am population in the US and the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area per NaFFAA Hampton Roads.
This is a community public service of the National Federation of Filipino American Association-Hampton Roads Chapter (NaFFAA HRC) and the Filipino American Community Action Group of Hampton Roads (Fil-Am CAG).
To all who want to know about the Filipino Community Demographics.
- Approximately 2 million Filipinos live in the United States.
- Filipinos are the 2nd largest Asian immigrant group in the U.S.
- Filipinos have the 2nd highest household incomes among all Asian groups and one of the lowest in welfare rolls.
- Virginia is the 9th largest Filipino populated state with 47,609. Filipinos spread out all over the state of which Virginia Beach alone has the highest concentration of Filipino residents.
- 20.4% of Asian Americans are Filipinos
Top 10 ranking based on U.S. Census 2000:
- California - 918,678
- Hawaii - 170,635
- Ilinois - 86,298
- New Jersey - 85,245
- New York - 81,681
- Washington - 65,375
- Texas - 58,340
- Florida - 54,310
- Virginia - 47,609
- Nevada - 40,529
Filipino Community Demographics of Hampton Roads
- Filipino population in Hampton Roads - 32,000+
- Estimated population of Filipinos for the entire Hampton Roads Area
- Virginia Beach - 17,000 - 22,000
- Norfolk - 4000 - 5000
- Chesapeake - 2000 - 3000
- Newport News - 1100 - 1400
- Hampton - 700 - 800
- Portsmouth - 400 - 500
- Williamsburg - 100 - 200
- Suffolk - unknown at this time as more Filipinos are relocating to new homes. Suffolk is now the fastest growing city in Hampton Roads.
* All the estimated figures above are individual counts NOT families.
Sources: U.S.Census 2000, National Federation of Filipino American Associations (NaFFAA) and ABS/CBN The Filipino Channel. Thank you to all the sources.
Nony E. Abrajano
Chairman, National Federation of Filipino American Associations - Hampton Roads Chapter
State Chairman, NaFFAA So. Virginia
Chairman, Fil-Am CAG Socio-Political Affairs Committee