Lynda.com is an online training library that teaches the latest software, creative, and business skills through high-quality instructional videos taught by recognized industry experts.
ODU Students, faculty, and staff have FREE access to the 2,500+ video courses, and more are added every week.
Software & Productivity Tools
Entering the Workforce
New Courses @ Lynda.com
All ODU students, faculty, and staff are eligible to access the entire lynda.com online training library free of charge through the ODU site license.
- Click on the Log In button on the top of this page
- Enter your MIDAS ID and password
(Note: Lynda.com is authenticated with the Monarch Key Web Login; you will be automatically directed to Lynda.com if you have an active session in progress.)
Finding Content on Lynda.com
You can search for topics on lynda.com in several ways. Click HERE to watch a helpful video about ways to find content on lynda.com.
- Search: The search bar at the top of the screen allows you to search by keyword, subject, author, title, and more.
- Browse: Click on the "Browse the Library" link at the top of the screen to browse by topic or alphabetically.
- Playlists: You can create and share playlists or visit the lynda.com Playlist Center to find curated playlists compiled by lynda.com experts.
Learn more about working with lynda.com playlists
Lynda.com provides users of any skill level the ability to watch bite-size tutorials for immediate problem solving or take comprehensive courses from start to finish-at school, at home, or on the go.
- Set aside time every week for online training
- Watch the welcome video of a course to check out its training content
- Use bookmarks to indicate favorite videos or courses
- Create and share course playlists
- Download exercise files and practice applying knowledge as you go
Certificates of Completion
When you finish a course by watching every tutorial in the course, you can receive a certificate of completion. You may print the certificate, e-mail it, or embed your certificate in a blog post or web page. These are the best ways to ensure authenticity of the certificate.
The free apps for iOS, Android, and Kindle allows you to download courses to watch whenever you want - even when there is no Internet available.
Watch courses on your mobile device while connected to the internet or download as many courses as you like to multiple devices to watch offline.
AndroidDownload for Android
iOSDownload for iOS
AmazonDownload Kindle App
Note: Please ignore any references to fees. As an ODU student, faculty or staff member, Lynda.com is free for you to use and you have access to all exercise files and materials the service offers.
If you have trouble logging into your account please contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757.683.3192.
For questions about Lynda.com or assistance using the service please contact Lynda.com Customer Service.
1 (888) 33-LYNDA
1 (888) 335-9632
+1 (805) 477-3900
Monday to Friday: 9:00 AM-8:00 PM PT
Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM-7:00 PM PT
Faculty and administrators can create and share course playlists. These can be made available via your Blackboard course, a web page, or any other method by which you share information with your students or employees. To learn to use these features, watch creating and managing your playlists and sharing your playlists from lynda.com.
When an individual has viewed all the movies in a lynda.com course, they can earn a certificate of completion for that course. Students and employees can then share these certificates with professors, supervisors, or prospective employers. For more, watch printing and sharing certificates of completion from lynda.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Lynda.com provides a vast online library (2,500+) of instructional videos covering the latest software, creative, and business skills. The courses are taught by accomplished teachers and recognized industry experts and new videos are added weekly.
Access the lynda.com library 24/7-even from your iPhone, iPad, Android device, or mobile phone-and watch entire courses or single tutorial videos as you need them.
Yes, if you go to Lynda.com and click on "Log in" on the right section of your screen you will see the option to "Log in through your organization or school".
Simply type "odu.edu" and click "Go" and you will be redirected to the ODU log in page that will enable you to access the service.
Unfortunately, you cannot create groups directly within Lynda.com. However, you do have the ability to create and share playlists with other users or assign videos to students/employees.
- Complement your coursework or explore new subjects to prepare yourself for the workforce.
- Learn techniques to build your collaboration skills and get the most out of technology available at ODU.
- Supplement curricula and teach technical skills outside of class.
- Ensure TA's are prepared for software that students will use in coursework
- Professional Development: Keep your skills current and learn new skills
- Explore new technologies and interests
- Provides certificates of completion you can post on LinkedIn
If you have trouble accessing the service or have questions please contact the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com or 757.683.3192.
Lynda.com's minimum system requirements can be found HERE.
The first time you log in to Lynda.com with your ODU account you will be presented with the option to integrate your other account with your ODU account. Integrating your accounts will enable you to access your history, playlists, and other account information. You will need to provide your old login ID and your MIDAS ID in order to transfer your account history to your ODU account.
Please note: If you use your ODU email address as the login for your other account you will need to change that log in if you do not wish to integrate your accounts.