Candidates may apply for the tutoring position by completing the following:
- A completed application
- Completed faculty/staff reference form
- Current class schedule
Submit Applications to:
Old Dominion University
Peer Educator Program
1104 Student Success Center
Norfolk, VA 23529
The Peer Educator Program provides free tutorial services for most of the lower level general education course requirements. We employ Content Tutors and Tutor Generalist in most subjects. Content Tutors are subject specific and Tutor Generalist tutors assist students in a broad range of areas to help them achieve academic success.
- Content Tutors-Tutors who specialize in a specific subject area.
- Tutor Generalist - Assist students with maximizing their academic performance.
- One-on-one tutorial services
- Small group tutoring
- Webinars on student success
- Study skills and learning strategies
- Tutorial services for Distance Learning (On-line)
- Smart Thinking- On-line tutorials available 24 hours through Black Board (Self-directed
- Candidate must be proficient in the area in which she/she desires to tutor.
- Must be able to convey that knowledge clearly via the spoken and written word.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 required in the course(s) in which the candidate is applying to tutor.
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and tutorial experience preferred.
- Must be an ODU undergraduate or graduate student.
- Have a desire to participate in the success of fellow students
Tutors are paid $9.50 for undergraduate tutors and $12.50 an hour for graduate students. Pay may increase with experience.
- Successful completion of Academic Enhancement Peer Educator Training Program.
- Complete ten hours of training. Two hours of the ten hours of training will be on-line.
- Provide peer-to-peer tutoring.
- Maintain frequent communication with full-time staff and responding to requests.
- Be punctual and professional. Submit session logs within one week of each tutorial session.
- Provide follow-up with tutees who miss consecutive appointments.
- Other general tasks may be assigned pertaining to student success.
If there are any questions concerning the application and qualifications, please contact Education Support Specialist, Wallace Turner at (757) 683-3294 or email@example.com.