The following document (in two parts) introduces readers to thinking critically about survey methodology and design and provides guidance for creating and administering surveys.
Surveys are designed collect information by asking them to respond to specific question. The survey items come from project mission and goals and research questions.
Tasks for Survey Design:
- Develop goals and research questions
- Choose data collection methods - is surveying the best method
- Outline topics and draft items
- Choose response formats
- Write and edit items
- Determine sequence of items
- Determine physical characteristics of the survey
- Review and revise the survey
- Pilot test and revise the survey
- Administer the survey
- Analyze the data and report the results