2012-2013 Budget Planning Information
December 09, 2011 / 2012-2013 Budget Development Instructions
Table of Contents
- Organizing Hierarchy Report
- Resource/Base Budget Summary Table(s)
- Five Year Planning Model
- Budget Worksheet Report
- Schedule of Tuition, Fees, and Service Charges
- Assessment Report of Prior E&G Funding Allocations
- New Positions
- Salary Actions
- Wage Positions
- Work Study Funds
- Auxiliary Indirect Costs
- Tuition and Fees
- 2012-2013 Budget Request Summary Form
- 2012-2013 Budget Resource Request Forms
- 2012-2013 Fee Recommendation Worksheet
- More Budget Forms and Templates
The budget planning process for FY2013 is largely predicated on the Governor and General Assembly budget deliberations which will begin with Governor McDonnell's proposed budget on December 19th, 2011 and subsequent General Assembly actions.
Available Resource Information
- Organization Hierarchy Report: Provides a listing of all budgets within your area of responsibility. Hierarchical budget unit changes are best managed with budget development to achieve July 1 implementation and fiscal year data congruity.
- Resource/Base Budget Summary Table(s): Provides a summary of revenue, expenditure and transfer information by Vice Presidential area by Ledger by budget unit. Additional Resource Summary Tables are included for auxiliary and sponsored program base budgets only.
- Five Year Planning Model: (Auxiliary Units Only) Provides an overview of auxiliary budgets over a five year period. Since these budgets are self-supporting and the fund balance is carried forward each year, this model will forecast the budget balances and compare them to the SCHEV guidelines.
- Base Budget Worksheet Report: : Budget Unit Managers may access this information by utilizing the Banner FBIBUDG screen report. To access this Banner Report, use the "GO TO" tool in the upper left hand corner of the banner entry screen and type in "FBIBUDG."
On the FBIBUDG Form, enter the following:
- Budget ID row type in "12BUD".
- Tab down to the Organization and type in your budget unit number.
- Tab to Selection Criteria Key 1 and select Account,
- Then "Control Page Down" and you will have the Base Budget by subaccount over multiple banner pages. The first column entitled 13Base refers to the current Base budget which will "roll" into FY2013 Operating (OPAL) on July 1, 2012.
Multiple Budget Reports are also available via Insight. Once logged onto Insight, navigate to the Public Folders Tab > Access Pages > Budget Tracking > Base Budgets.
Please consult the Appendix to the Budget Management and Financial Reporting training materials for specific information about each available report.
5. Schedule of Tuition, Fees, and Service Charges: Provides the listing of tuition, fees and service charges approved by the President. This schedule can be accessed through the University Budget Office Web Page. If you wish to add or revise any fees in this schedule, please download the template (see Budget Office Webpage Template Forms link) and complete the Fee Recommendation Worksheet.
6. Assessment Report of Prior E&G Funding Allocations: : This report similar to last years will be disseminated to each VP Office in the very near future and will be due back to the Budget Office a week before the FY2013 budget materials are due.
- Salary, Wages, and Employee Benefits (Full-Time Positions) - The Commonwealth's budget status will determine the prospect for salary increases. We will assume the status quo and adjust when we know more.
- New Positions: Employee benefits for new full time positions should be calculated at 36.46 percent.
- Salary Actions: Requests for in band adjustments or salary changes to existing positions should add employee benefits at 22.73 percent of the salary change.
- Please note that Position Budgeting Worksheets are no longer provided with the budget materials. If you are considering any position actions and need this information, please contact the Budget Office
- Wage Positions - The cost for temporary wage positions (part-time faculty, hourly and students not enrolled in classes) should include the wage plus 7.65 percent for FICA
- Work Study Funds - The base budget contains all funds for work study student employees supported by the Federal grant. Work study revenue will continue to be allocated based on 75 percent of the expense. In addition, federal regulations require 7 percent of our work study funds to be spent on Community Service related endeavors.
- Auxiliary Indirect Costs - The current rate of 12.19 percent will continue for FY2013. This rate should be applied to any additions or changes to auxiliary expenditures.
- Tuition and Fees - Budget requests should assume no increases for tuition and student fees. Reallocations need to be made to cover inflation and programmatic changes. If the approved rates are different, the Budget Office will adjust for the changes.
- Enrollment - Your planning should consider the following enrollment numbers:
- Annual FTES = 20,041 (Regular Session - on campus fall/spring = 15,762; Summer Session - on campus only = 1,858; Annual Off-Campus = 2,421); Fall On-Campus headcount = 21,456; Fall Off-Campus Headcount = 3,187; Total Fall Headcount = 24,643
Budget Submission Requirements
Vice Presidential area budget submissions should consist of five parts - an Executive Summary, Template, Resource Requests, Proposed Fee Changes, and Assessment Data for prior E&G Funding Allocations.
- Executive Summary: Provides the overall summary of your budget requests. The executive summary will be the format followed in your hearing with the President.
- Resource Request Forms: Including the new Budget Request Summary Form as well as, the individual Budget Resource Request Forms and worksheets. Describes and prioritizes your requests. It also provides a breakdown of the budget amounts and positions related to each request. You can download these forms from the Templates and Forms page referenced above.
- Fee Recommendation Worksheet 2013: Provides information on any fees you wish to add or change. You can download this form from the Templates and Forms page referenced above.
- Assessment Data for prior E&G Funding Allocations: follow-up report on FY2011 and FY2012 E&G funding allocations in terms or progress and outcomes achieved.
The Budget Requests are due in the Budget Office on 17 February 2012. Each Vice President's Office should submit the original and three (3) paper copies of your materials. The Assessment Data Report is due on 10 February 2012. Also, please email the information to email@example.com . The Budget Office will distribute your materials to the President for his review prior to your hearing date (which will be scheduled in March). Please contact the Budget Office (extension 3-3127) with any questions.
|Budget Process||Projected Time|
|Realign revenue forecasts based on known and anticipated State GF $||
November , 2011
|Alternative Tuition Increase Models|
Base Funding Level Parameters
|Budget Guidance Memo Requesting:||
December 9, 2011
|Revised Budget Plans|
|E & G Base budget realignment by subaccount, net zero|
|Organizational Hierarchy proposed changes for 7/1/11|
Fee & Service Charge changes/additions
|Base Budget Summary Tables||Mid-December, 2011|
|Base Budget Worksheet||Mid-December, 2011|
|Organizational Hierarchy Report||Mid-December, 2011|
|Budget Planning Assumptions - Fringe Benefits, Indirect Rate||December 9, 2011|
Five Year Planning Model for Auxiliaries
|Tuition Fees & Service Charges||December 9, 2011|
|Budget Webpage Templates||December 9, 2011|
|Governor McDonnell's December 17th Budget Proposals||December 19, 2011|
|Concurrent Regional Public Hearings on Proposed State Budget||January 6, 2011|
|General Assembly Convenes, Senate Finance & House Appropriations||
January 10, 2012
|Committees begin their budget amendment process|
|Senate Finance & House Appropriations to complete their budget analysis||Early February, 2012|
|Senate & House to act on their Budget Bills|
|Assessment Data Due||February 10, 2012|
|Budget Material Submissions Due||February 17, 2012|
|First Conference on the Budget Bill||
Early March, 2012
|Budget Bill Conference Report Available||
Early March, 2012
|General Assembly Session closes||Mid-March, 2012|
|Alternative Tuition Increase Models|
|Realign revenue forecasts based on General Assembly Budget Actions||Mid-March, 2012|
|Alternative Tuition Increase Models|
|Request Budget Modification Plans if General Assembly actions necessitate||Mid-March, 2012|
|Budget Reviews with President Broderick||March, 2012|
|Governor's Review of General Assembly Actions||
until early April, 2012
|General Assembly Reconvene||Mid-April, 2012|
|Tuition & Fee Proposal to Board of Visitors||
April 5, 2012
|Budget Guidance Memos with Decisions||Mid-Late April, 2012|
Budget Office Webpage Instructions with detailed Operating Instructions
|Base Budget realignments (net zero)||Mid-Late April, 2012|
|Review of draft budget adjustments for Auxiliaries||Mid-Late April, 2012|
|Budget Proposal to Board of Visitors||June 14, 2012|
|Base Budget Roll for FY2012 Operating||June 22, 2012|
|Academic Affairs submits Ed Foundation Transfer Requests||
June 25, 2012
|Implement Budget Actions in New Fiscal Year||
July 1, 2012
|Load non-base budget adjustments for one-time-only adjustments||July 1, 2012|