[ skip to content ]


What services are available at Student Health Services?

  • Services at Student Health are very similar to those of other outpatient settings. The majority of services are provided by physicians, nurse practitioners, and a physician assistant.
  • Student Health offers primary care services for acute illness and can assist with monitoring of stable chronic illnesses.
  • Student Health offers care for injuries, but does not provide emergency room services.
  • Student Health does not have a full service pharmacy, but providers can write prescriptions that can be filled at local pharmacies. Some medications are administered on site.
  • Student Health offers gynecological services including breast exams, pap smears, contraceptive options and screening for sexually transmitted infections. Student Health has limited pharmacy services for oral contraceptives and condoms.
  • Allergy injections can be given at Student Health. The student must supply the serum and detailed instructions from the allergist. The first injection must be administered by the allergist.
  • Student Health is able to perform EKGs, and give short-term intravenous therapy, when indicated.
  • Student Health can provide referrals to specialists in the area when indicated.
  • All required immunizations may be obtained at Student Health. Fees are charged for immunizations.
  • Student Health has an on-site laboratory. Many tests are performed in Student Health during the appointment. Other tests are performed by our off-site reference laboratory. Fees are charged for lab work sent off-site to the reference laboratory. Laboratory tests performed on site are done at no charge to the student.

Do you provide laboratory services?

An on-site laboratory is available for your convenience. Most routine testing is done on-site. These tests include CBC (complete blood counts), urinalysis, mono testing, strep testing, and rapid flu and urine pregnancy testing. Tests not done on-site are collected here and sent to an outside reference laboratory at cost.

Can I have laboratory work ordered by another physician drawn here?

Laboratory work can be drawn here with a written provider's request. Results will be sent to the ordering provider (physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant).

When is the health history form due?

Students should submit the completed form to Student Health by August 1 for Fall semester and January 2 for Spring semester. If the form is not complete by that time, do not submit a partial form. Immunization holds will be placed on the students' registration starting in October for Fall semester students and February for Spring semester students. This hold will prevent the student from registering for their second semester of classes.

Where can I find my immunization (shot) records?

If your family doctor or parents do not have your shot record, the high school where you graduated is a great place to start! They usually have records microfilmed or kept in a warehouse. It may take a few weeks to retrieve the records depending on how long it has been since the student graduated. A previous university or the military may have some of these records.

What do I do if I can't find any immunization (shot) records?

Student Health Services or your family doctor can check to see if you are protected against measles, mumps, and rubella by doing a blood test called an MMR antibody titer. The other required immunizations, tetanus/diphtheria, hepatitis B, and meningitis can be given by appointment at Student Health once you have registered for your first semester of classes. Local health departments may offer these immunizations at low cost, or in some instances at no cost.

If my Health History and Immunization Documentation form is complete except for the meningitis vaccine, can I turn in the form?

Students are asked to keep the form until they receive the meningitis vaccine or the second dose of Hepatitis B vaccine.

What immunizations are required?

All students must provide documentation of 2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine, a Td (tetanus diphtheria) booster or Tdap (Tetanus/Diptheria/Acelluar Pertussis) within the last 10 years, 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine or waiver, meningitis vaccine or signed ODU meningitis waiver form if the student is declining to receive this vaccine, and a tuberculosis risk assessment must be completed. This risk assessment is on page 3 of the pre-entrance health history form. If tuberculosis symptoms or risk factors are present based on the answers to the risk assessment questionnaire, a PPD skin test (mantoux type) is required. Students entering a health field (nursing, dental hygiene, physical therapy, medical technology, or nuclear medicine) may also be required by their program to have the Hepatitis B vaccine series.

Does the University offer a group student health insurance plan?

The only group student health insurance plan is offered for international students who are required to have health insurance. Information is available on our website to assist students and parents looking for individual health insurance plans. See http://studentaffairs.odu.edu/healthservices/announcements/healthinsinfo.shtml

Can students use a health insurance card for services?

No. Each full-time student pays the semester health fee and is entitled to all services we offer. Lab, injection, immunization, and other fees apply.

Do you file insurance claims?

No, we do not file insurance claims. The student is issued a "walk out statement" after each appointment, which can be used to file a claim with the insurance company.

Do you have a GYN clinic?

Yes, by appointment. Office hours are 8 AM - 5 PM, M - F and 8 AM - 7 PM on Mondays and Tuesdays during the fall and spring semesters. During the summer, we are open 8 AM - 5 PM, M - F.

What happens when my student gets sick and Student Health is closed?

If it is a life-threatening emergency, Public Safety (757-683-4000) or 911 should be notified for immediate assistance. To reach the "on-call clinician" after hours or on weekends, call Public Safety and ask to speak to the on-call clinician. Public Safety will page the on-call clinician, who will return the call to the student and advise them accordingly. There are hospitals and urgent care facilities within a couple of miles from the campus. See http://studentaffairs.odu.edu/healthservices/services/afterhours.shtml

How is payment for services received?

Students pay by their Monarch Plus Card, or fees are billed to their student account. If charges for Health Services are billed to the student's account, they can be paid online or at the Rollins Hall cashier's office (cash, check, money order, or credit card).

What services are offered in the Health Education Office?

  • Individual consultations
  • Group Programs
  • Health & Wellness Fairs

What types of programs or consultations are offered?

  • Nutrition & Healthy Eating
  • Fitness & Wellness
  • Sexual Health
  • HIV/AIDS Prevention
  • Alcohol & Other Substance Abuse Prevention
  • Stress Management
  • Family Planning
  • Men's Health & Women's Health
  • Smoking Cessation

How can I get involved in Health Education?

  • Be a Peer Educator
  • Serve on the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
  • To join SHAC or become a peer educator, call (757) 683-3132 and select number 3 option.