Military Educational Benefits Team (VA Certifying Officials)
Old Dominion University has a team of five VA certifying officials who are qualified to assist you with obtaining your VA benefits.
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm or use the information shown to contact our team.
Effective with the Fall 2013 semester, the University will adopt the dual certification process used by other universities, so that we can more efficiently process initial student registrations into the Department of Veterans Affairs system (VAOnce).
How the process will work and what it means to you as a GI Bill recipient:
- Initial certification to VAOnce will be for enrolled credit hours only, to allow the VA to begin the processing of students' BAH and book stipends. We will begin submitting certifications for Fall 2013 on July 10.
Once the initial certification is complete, adjustments and new registrations will be submitted at regular intervals during the summer.
It is very important that you register before July 10 to ensure you are included in the initial certification.
- Second stage certification will begin after the session drop/add date, at which time tuition and fees will be added to the certification, allowing the VA to begin the second disbursement to ODU directly.
- Any change to your schedule after certification may result in a financial impact to you, so it is important that you finalize your schedule as early as possible.
- The tuition deadline will be deferred for all certified VA students to allow time for the VA to process the second stage certification of your credit hours, tuition and fees.
- All students receiving GI Bill benefits should check the ODU e-mail on a regular basis for any updated communications.
Q: Do I need a new Veterans Clearance Form?
A: In most cases, no. If you ask us not to certify your summer registrations with the VA, you will need to submit a new Veterans Clearance Form for the Fall semester to restart your certifications. This form should be submitted before July 10 to ensure timely processing of your Fall certification.
If you have any questions about your payment status, benefit eligibility, remaining benefits, or how BAH will be paid out, please contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the University's certification procedures, please contact us at email@example.com.
Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Recipients
- Parking Decals -- parking authorizations are sent by the Registrar's Office to the Parking and Transportation Services office
- Books and Supplies -- you may pick up your books and supplies from the University Bookstore three weeks before the semester begins. Bookstore vouchers are no longer needed.
Veterans Clearance Form
Students who are using G.I. Bill benefits for the first time at Old Dominion University, active duty, and Vocational Rehabilitation (VocRehab) students, must contact the Veterans Affairs Services staff or meet with the site director to ensure that the proper paperwork has been done. For convenience, the Veterans Clearance Form is available online and can be faxed to (757) 683-5357 or provided to the distance learning site staff. Active duty military, MEM Ashore and certificate students using G.I. Bill benefits must complete the Veterans Clearance Form EACH semester AFTER registering for ODU classes.
Students who wish to use both Tuition Assistance and G.I. Bill benefits during the same semester (not for the same classes) must notify the site director or Veterans Affairs Services staff in writing, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax a copy of the Veterans Clearance Form and the Tuition Assistance Authorization Form to (757) 683-5357, indicating the classes to be submitted for G.I. Bill benefits.
Verification of Enrollment
Students collecting G.I. Bill benefits under Chapter 30 or 1606 (Reserves) must verify their enrollment status to the VA on the last calendar day of every month. The telephone number to call is (877) 823-2378, or report via the G.I. Bill web site (www.gibill.va.gov).