The Learning Commons/Academic Support Services serves as a central area for student services. Check out this list of Services offered for Old Dominion University Students.
- Academic Advising and Enrollment Services
Advising includes pre-major and select major advising as well as admissions and registration assistance.
- Collaboration/Conference Room Reservations for Enrolled Students
Reservations may be made at the Learning Commons desk.
- Class Reserve Instructional Materials
Professors may place supplementary materials that students can sign out and/or use in the Learning Commons (such as photocopied material, books, videos, etc). We conveniently have viewing stations for DVDs and VHS tapes.
- Distance Learning Library Services Handbook
If you need academic journal articles or books for a research paper visit the Learning Commons desk to pick up the latest edition of the handbook. You can also use the many services available at www.lib.odu.edu.
- Mace and Crown Newspaper
The latest copy of the ODU student newspaper, The Mace and Crown, is available in the Learning Commons.
- Monarch Student Identification Cards
Please see a Learning Commons staff member to have your photo taken for your University ID card. You will need your UIN (university identification number) and a picture ID. In 7 to 10 days your Monarch ID card should be available for pick up at the Learning Commons desk.
- ODU Interlibrary Loan Materials
Students and faculty can have reserved books from the ODU Perry Library sent to the Learning Commons for pick-up.
- ODU Library Book Return
All books checked out from the ODU Perry Library can be dropped off in the book return box in the Learning Commons.
- Student Computer Lab and ITS Consultant
Networked computer stations and an on-site computer lab assistant are available to assist you with all your computer account needs.
- Student Copier
A copier is available in the front of the Learning Commons. Copies are 10 cents each.
- Telecourse Drop Off and Pick Up
Telecourse assignment cover sheets are located in the classrooms and in the Learning Commons. Drop off all telecourse work in the convenient slot at the Learning Commons desk. Also, returned work will be delivered to your class or you can pick it up at the Learning Commons desk. Telecourse and 2-way cover sheets are also available to print from our Forms page.
- Telecourse Class Review
- Students who unavoidably miss a class or need to review a lecture can view their class on a computer in the Learning Commons during our normal operating hours of Monday through Friday, 8am to 10pm, and Saturday, 8am to 5:30pm. Headphones are provided, but you may bring your own headphones if you prefer.
- Students can access archived classes on the web at ODU's Distance Learning/Online Tools/Video Streaming page at http://dl.odu.edu/tools/vstream/index.shtml. Under the Course Offerings heading, click on the appropriate semester and your class, then login with your MIDAS ID and password.
****Remember that interaction with your instructor is a large part of the learning process and that some instructors prohibit viewing recorded class sessions. Viewing a recording should primarily be a review strategy or a last resort if you must miss a class.
Student Testing Information
- Exit Exam of Writing Proficiency
This exam is offered on the third Saturday of each month except December. Students must register on-line at Academic Skills.
- Make-up Testing
With written permission from your instructor students may take make-up exams for a class taken at ODU-Virginia Beach in the Learning Commons Monday through Friday between 8am and 4:30pm and by appointment only on Saturday between 10am and 2pm. Please contact Joe Blanchard at 368-4107 no later than 4:30pm the Thursday prior to the upcoming Saturday. See the Testing Services page for more information.
- Student With Disabilities Testing
Students registered with the Office of Educational Accessibility may take exams for a class taken at ODU-Virginia Beach in the Learning Commons. Please contact Joe Blanchard at 368-4107.
- Video Streaming Students
Students registered in a Video Streamed section of a TELETECHNET class must take exams with the Virginia Beach section of the class. Please contact Joe Blanchard at 368-4107 before the first exam of the semester.
- Writing Sample Placement Test
This test is administered in the Learning Commons by appointment only on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday between 8am and 4:30pm. Please contact Joe Blanchard at 368-4107.