The Office of Risk Management is responsible for administering the University's insurance, risk management and fire safety programs. Insurance products are provided through a combination of self insurance and purchased insurance while assuring acceptable risk transfer and retention for all routine and unique exposures. Other safety programs are directed through the Office of Environmental Health and Safety.
The Office of Risk Management investigates and administers all property and casualty claims for the University and conducts program audits to determine vulnerabilities to distinct liability and property exposures. Support is also provided through loss prevention programs that serve to preserve the University's physical assets by utilizing a combination of facility inspections, fire protection engineering and immediate attention to reports of at-risk conditions.
Reports of potential fire, safety, injury, or loss to University property should be promptly directed to the Office of Risk Management (757) 683-4009, Office of Fire and Life Safety (757) 683-5166, or Campus Police at (757) 683-4000.
We strive to provide the best possible counsel, advocacy and personal service to the campus community through our commitment to
- Fully comprehending the unique needs of our clients
- Develop and deploy programs to prevent, control, and minimize the University's risk of loss
- Provide an effective network of innovative risk management and insurance tools and solutions
- Provide a professional, creative, and results-oriented client support team, and
- Exceed the expectations of the University community and affiliate partners
- Virginia Division of Risk Management
- University Risk Management and Insurance Management Society
- Risk and Insurance Management Society
- National Fire Protection Association
- Campus Fire Safety
- The Code of Virginia