One Program, Three In-Demand Healthcare Certifications!
Employment of Medical Assistants is projected to grow 18 percent from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations. That translates to about 104,400 openings for Medical Assistants each year. - U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Why Choose the ODU Certified Medical Assistant Program
Three, In-Demand Healthcare Certifications
Your career pathway starts with THREE, in-demand healthcare certifications:
- Clinical Medical Assistant,
- EKG Technician, and
- Phlebotomy Technician.
Your program combines convenient online courses with in-person clinical experience supervised by healthcare professionals!
NCAA Accredited Certifications
In as little as 5 months, you'll be prepared to sit for nationally recognized exams through the National Healthcareer Association.
The Certified Medical Assistant Program will prepare students for an exciting and rewarding career in healthcare! Your career pathway starts with THREE, in-demand healthcare certifications:
Clinical Medical Assistant
Medical assistants perform both clinical and administrative duties and assist a variety of providers including physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants. You will learn how to complete common duties of a medical assistant include administrative and clinical tasks like:
- Checking patients in and out upon arrival and departure
- Answering phone calls and questions
- Assisting providers with exams and procedures
- Administering injections or medications
- Working in the electronic health record (EHR)
- Performing EKG, phlebotomy, and laboratory procedures
- Taking patient vital signs
As an EKG Technician you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Set up and administer EKGs (electrocardiograms) and stress tests
- Prepare patients for Holter or ambulatory monitoring
- Edit and deliver final test results to physicians for analysis
- Schedule appointments
- Transcribe physicians' interpretations
As a Phlebotomy Technician, you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Draw blood from patients and blood donors
- Evaluate patients' ability to withstand procedure
- Explain blood-drawing procedure to patients and answer questions
- Perform basic point of care testing, such as blood glucose levels
- Prepare blood, urine, and other specimens for testing
- Verify patient/donor identity
- Maintain medical equipment such as needles, test tubes and blood vials
Applicants are selected by the Healthcare Program Coordinator based on application criteria. In addition, students must be:
- at least 18 years old,
- have earned a high school diploma or GED,
- passed a criminal background check,
- and passed a drug screen prior to admission into the program.
Tuition is $5,000 and includes a workbook, class materials, CPR certificate, soft skills, credential exams, and externships with local employers. Textbooks are provided to students for their use during the program and are required to be returned when a student completes or withdraws from the program.
Dawn Guy, RN, BSN
Dawn Guy, RN, BSN, is a motivated instructor whose goal is to provide life-changing education and opportunities to the students she teaches. She isi currently working with students to obtain their Clinical Medical Assistant Certification, Phlebotomy Technician Certification, and EKG Technician Certification while preparing them for employment or to continue their education. Guy is enrolled in a Master of Science in Nursing Education program at Western Governor's University with the goal of continuing to teach in advanced nursing programs or entering nursing leadership in the education field.
Register- Fall 2022
- Mandatory Orientation: August 17, 2022, via Zoom
- Class Dates: August 22, 2022 - January 27, 2023
- Externship Dates: December 12th - 16th / December 19th - 22nd /January 9th - 13th / January 16th - 20th
- Wrap Up: January 23rd - 27th
- Location: TBD
- Fees: $5,000 (includes a workbook, class materials, CPR certificate, soft skills, credential exams, and externships with local employers)
- Need a little more information? Attend one of our FREE online information sessions!
- Upcoming session dates include:
Click the link above to register for the date of your choice