Information Technology Services (ITS) is committed to providing high speed Ethernet and wireless Internet connectivity, cable television, local phone service and support for personally owned computers. The ITS Help Desk can answer any of your technical questions.
ODU's wireless network delivers fast and reliable data connection in all academic buildings and residence halls and most outdoor spaces on campus. Use your MIDAS ID and password to log on to wireless networks.
Each dorm room is equipped with one ethernet port per bed. You can use this port to connect a desktop computer, game console or media device directly to the network. You'll need to provide your own ethernet cable.
Gaming Consoles & Media Players
Register your game console or media device and connect it to the wired network port in your dorm room or to DeviceODU, our dedicated wireless network just for devices. Click the link to learn more.
MonarchVision Cable TV is included for free in all on-campus housing, providing 100+ channels and an ODU information channel. There is one cable jack per room. You'll need to provide your own television and coaxial cable.
Watch movies on demand at monarchmovies.odu.edu. You'll just need to be connected to an ODU network on campus (wired or wireless). Movie selections change each month.
Local phone service is available for an additional housing fee. Contact the Housing Office if you'd like to activate this service. You'll need your own telephone, plus a calling card if you want to place long distance calls.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act
We will not tolerate the use of ODU networks to illegally download copyrighted material. Learn about the University's compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and the actions that we will take with identified copyright violators.
Here are some computer-related items you might want to bring when you move to campus:
- Six-outlet power strip with built-in surge protector
- Ethernet (RJ-45) cable (min 10 ft.) for connecting computers, game systems or streaming media devices to the ODU wired network
- Computer - Check our recommended tech guidelines, or purchase one of our Mobile Monarch student notebooks
- Cables for power, printer, audio, etc.
- CDs, license keys and manuals for all software
- Copies of computer receipts and warranty info
- Television (one per room)
- Coaxial cable (min 10 ft.)
- DVD/Blu-ray player with cables
- Telephone (one per room, optional) - wired or cordless (5 GHz)
- Telephone (RJ-11) cable (min 6 ft.)
Securing Your Computer
Learn how to keep your computer safe from viruses & spam.