Current On-Campus Resident:
A current undergraduate student, who currently lives on-campus, attended Old Dominion University during the 2012-2013 academic year and will continue to be enrolled in an undergraduate program as a full-time student in 2013-2014.
Return Housing Process
We are glad that you are interested in returning to on-campus housing at Old Dominion University. In order to better assist you in this process, please make sure to carefully read the information provided in the links below. There have been a few changes, so even if you have gone through this process before, it is important to ensure you understand what applying for on-campus housing means and how the process works. A few of the highlighted changes from last year include:
- The University wants to ensure student success. That is why Housing & Residence Life gives new and current freshmen who live on campus priority for on-campus housing. The strategy is designed to ensure students are provided with a supportive environment and access to the resources that are known to improve student success in the early years of college.
- The University will accommodate all first-time freshmen who currently live on campus and who apply according to procedure and in a timely manner. To begin this process, all current on-campus students were sent a notification to their ODU email account on Friday, February 1, 2013.
- The (1) application and (2) room selection processes occur at two different times. Applications are accepted in February. Room selection occurs in March.
- First-time freshmen currently living on campus are guaranteed housing if they complete the online housing application process (including the $250.00 payment) between February 4 - 22, 2013.
- Upper-class students currently living on campus will be eligible to apply for on-campus housing on a first-come, first-served basis starting February 24, 2013 at 10:00 a.m.
- Although first-time freshmen currently living on campus are guaranteed housing if they complete an application, upper-class students who complete housing applications will be given priority in the room selection process (i.e., upper-class students will have "first" selection timeslots).
Our staff members are ready, willing, and able to answer any questions you may have, so please do not hesitate to contact our office directly to speak with someone. It is our goal to provide you timely and accurate updates and information regarding our process, so be sure to regularly check your ODU email account and this website for any updates regarding the Return Housing process. We look forward to serving you next year and wish you the best of luck with your academic progress here at Old Dominion University!
Current On-Campus, First-Year Freshmen
For the purposes of our housing assignment process, Current On-Campus, First-Year Freshmen Students are defined as any student who was admitted to Old Dominion University in Summer 2012, Fall 2012 or Spring 2013 as a freshmen student (with and/or without high school AP credits) and currently reside on-campus. Current On-Campus, First-Year Freshmen students who complete their applications (online application and $250.00 payment) between February 4, 2013 and February 22, 2013 are guaranteed on-campus housing in one of our residential communities for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Current On-Campus, Upperclassmen Students
For the purposes of our housing assignment process, Current On-Campus, Upperclassmen Students are defined as any student who was admitted to Old Dominion University as a freshmen prior to the Summer 2012 or and currently reside on-campus. Current On-Campus, Upperclassmen Students will be able to begin applying (online application and $250.00 payment) on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. on a first-come, first-serve basis. Applications will remain open until all application slots are filled; it is important to get your application in as soon as possible.
Before You Begin
Before you begin the application process, browse through your options for Residential Communities. It is also a good idea to take a look at the following documents and information to get a better understanding of the commitment you are making to ODU prior to applying for housing:
- 2013-2014 Terms and Conditions (this is a Preliminary and Advisory copy; awaiting final Board of Visitors Approval)
- Recorded Informational Session about the Process
- Return Housing Guide
- Recorded Demo of Selection Process
To apply, you wil need:
- MIDAS account username and password
- A valid credit/debit card for the application fee ($50.00) and housing deposit ($200.00)
Understanding the Application Process
- Please know there is an application timeframe in February, but no students select rooms until March. For more details please see the Timeline and Process section of the website.
- It is important to note that by applying for housing and completing the application process, you have created to a legally binding agreement and made a financial commitment to live on campus at ODU for the 2013-2014 Academic year.
- Your date of completed application does not mean you will have a better selection timeslot. Selection timeslots are randomly generated so all students have the same odds; however, current upperclassmen will have eariler timeslots than the current, on-campus, first-year freshmen students. Please refer to the links in the orange highlight above for more information.
- Current on-campus, first-year, freshmen students can begin applying and submitting housing deposits on February 4, 2013 through February 22, 2013. The remaining application slots, for all other on-campus upperclassmen, will open on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. on a first completed, first served process.
- Read all the information completely and carefully.
- Don't Procrastinate and Do Your Research!
- Assignment Policy - Acceptance of the Housing and Dining Agreement does not guarantee a specific room assignment.
- Submitting your Application - Submit the Housing & Residence Life on-line application, including the $250.00 payment ($50.00 non-refundable application fee and $200.00 housing deposit). Payment can be made online (through your LeoOnline account or in person in the Cashier's Office in Rollins Hall).
- After You Apply - Once the application, application fee ($50.00), and housing deposit ($200.00) are completed, you will receive notification that your application has been received and is complete. You may not hear from our office again until notification of your selection timeslot.
- Checking Your ODU Email - All communications during this process will go to your ODU email account, so please be sure to check it regularly for updates and information.
- Communication, Communication, Communication! It is our goal to be as transparent with our process as possible. Please be on the look out for constant updates and opportunities for discussion through upcoming information sessions, flyers, posters, email communication, and Blackboard communications. We do not anticipate changes to the process, but make sure to regularly check our website or stop in and see us regarding questions and updates!