[ skip to content ]


Diplomas are not distributed at commencement EXCEPT:
Doctoral students receive their diplomas at commencement as long as all requirements are completed and submitted to the Registrar's Office by the last day of classes. This includes verification of successful passage of exams and defense of the dissertation, and submission of the completed dissertation.

Beginning approximately 6 weeks after the graduation date, diplomas will be mailed to the permanent address on record in the Office of the University Registrar. Students should verify and update the permanent address in LEO Online or submit a written address change to the Office of the University Registrar using the Address/Name Change Form.

All holds, debts, or obligations to the University must be satisfied before the diploma will be released.

Replacement or Duplicate Diploma
To order a replacement or additional diploma (size is 11"x14"), use the Replacement Diploma Order Form or make a written request including the following information:

  • full legal name (as it should appear on the diploma)
  • name as it was when you attended if different (you must provide a copy of your new Social Security card for a name change)
  • Social Security number or University ID number (UIN)
  • degree received
  • date the degree was received
  • address to which the diploma should be mailed (or indicate that you wish to pick it up in person)
  • signature of the student
  • check or money order for $40, payable to Old Dominion University

Diplomas damaged during mailing should be returned to the Office of the University Registrar for replacement at no cost.

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of specially ordered diplomas. Mail requests to the Old Dominion University Office of the University Registrar, Attention: Graduation, 116 Rollins Hall, Norfolk, VA 23529, or fax your request to (757) 683-5357. Payment must be made before the diploma will be ordered.

Final Transcripts and Verification of Degree
Final transcripts are not automatically provided to graduates, but must be requested in writing. Transcript forms have a service box to indicate special deadlines, or hold for degree posting. See Transcripts.

A special verification request form is necessary for students who require immediate proof of graduation for an employer, graduate school, certification board or other third party. Transcripts and verifications will not be released until all holds, debts, or obligations to the University have been satisfied.

Students can see when the degree has been posted in LEO Online (see Check Your Graduation Status or view your unofficial transcript).