A 17-member board appointed by the Governor, the Board of Visitors has the power to control and expend the funds of the University and any appropriation made to it, the power to make all rules and regulations concerning the University, the power to appoint the President, who is the chief executive officer of the University.
Members of the Board of Visitors are appointed for four-year renewable terms, and no member may serve for or during more than two successive four-year terms. Three members may be non-residents of Virginia, and at least three members must be alumni of Old Dominion University. A non-voting student representative is elected annually by the Board of Visitors.
The Board of Visitors holds quarterly meetings in September, December, April and June of each year. Meetings of the Executive Committee are scheduled during the months in which the full Board does not meet.
2021-2022 Meeting Schedule
- July 13, 2021 - Governance Committee Meeting
- August 9, 2021 - Executive, Governance and Nominating Committee Meetings
- September 14, 2021 - Quarterly Board Meeting
- September 15, 2021 - Board Retreat
- October 25, 2021 - Executive Committee Meeting
- November 15, 2021 - Executive Committee Meeting - CANCELED
- November 15, 2021 - Governance Committee Meeting
- December 9-10, 2021 - Quarterly Board Meeting
- January 31, 2022 - Executive Committee Meeting
- March 28, 2022 - Executive and Governance Committee Meetings and Public Forum
- April 21-22, 2022 - Quarterly Board Meeting
- May 11, 2022 - Governance Committee Meeting
- May 16, 2022 - Executive Committee Meeting - CANCELED
- June 2-3, 2022 - Annual Board Meeting
A list of current members of the board and dates appointed.
List of the Board's committees and members
Review the statutory requirements, bylaws and policies that govern the Board of Visitors.