COVID-19 Student Resources & FAQ
Spring 2020 Student Rebates
Academic Advising FAQs
ePortfolio Student Assistance
Food Insecurity Resources
Here are some tips, suggestions and resources on how to learn online and become a self-motivated online student. To succeed in this transition, we encourage you to concentrate on three areas:
Stay Healthy: Take care of your physical and mental well-being. Stay positive.
Get Ready: Prepare your online course environment. Prepare your computer and internet access and familiarize yourself with Canvas and Zoom. Don't guess. Ask for help.
Be Flexible: Adjust to your course's requirements, expectations, and changes—and keep in touch with your instructor and classmates. Stay engaged.
Internet Connectivity Resources
For internet connectivity - below are helpful tips:
- Most cellular providers can add data hotspot features to existing smartphone service. If you have a cell phone, please contact your provider to determine if you can add this feature to your cellular plan.
- Most cellular providers have "MiFi" devices that serve exclusively as data hotspots. This option can be pursued if you do not have a smartphone or need internet independent of a cell phone.
- Some internet or cable providers are announcing changes:
- Discount internet access, internet service upgrades, and some offer the ability to access WiFi hotspots for free.
- Many internet and cellular carriers have signed a pledge not to cancel service or charge late fees during this crisis.
- Many carriers and some government programs are also offering low-cost internet plans that may be available in your area. https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/are-there-government-programs-to-help-me-get-internet-service
Metro by T-Mobile
How to Set Up Your Mobile Device as a Hotspot
Once you've confirmed that your cellular plan includes mobile hotspot functionality, navigate to your mobile device below to find step by step instructions on how to set up a hotspot on your device:
Internet Service Providers
Many internet service providers are offering low cost or free options for students who need to complete courses online, so be sure you let them know you are a student.
- Offering free WiFi for two months to K-12 and higher education students. All Xfinity hot-spots are free to the public during this time.
- Offering open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low-income families.
- 15GB of high-speed data for wireless consumer and small business customers
- Offering unlimited data to existing customers and allowing all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- Offering unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- Offering first two months free of Connect2Complete service, $9.95/month thereafter - details of qualifications on website.
Charter Free Internet Offer for 2 months
Still Having Issues Connecting?
The ITS Help Desk provides centralized technology support to students, faculty and staff at ODU. Contact by phone (757-683-3192 or 877-348-6503) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests
A VDOE-sponsored recruitment service for teachers & schools.
U.S. Department of Education
Interact, learn, & get ideas on how to provide & facilitate education.
Office of Clinical Experiences
Supporting all students in the College of Education & Professional Studies who engage in field experiences
VA Department of Education
Job opportunities, curricula, legislation, programs, events, & requirements.
Prior Learning Assessment
Translating professional work knowledge into academic credit.
Special Education Resources
Special Education Pre/Post-Task Rating Form
(for Master's & Licensure Students only)
Used for key assignment submissions, artifact collection, accreditation standards integration, and student assessments in ODU's Teacher Education Programs.
Back to Basics Special Education Law Modules
In Partnership with the Virginia Department of Education
TeachVirginia is dedicated to providing information on special education personnel preparation programs in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Training & Technical Assistance Center at ODU
NASDSE outlines what Constitutes a Highly Qualified Special Education Teacher Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004. The National Association for State Directors of Special Education (NASDSE) has created a flowchart to answer this very important question.
Commonwealth Special Education Endorsement Programs