Welcome to the Monarch Nation!
Welcome to the Monarch Nation! We are excited to have you join us and assist you through your transition to Old Dominion. Check out our New International Student Orientation to become familiar with the resources and services ODU provides to support your success as a student.
COVID Vaccine & Quarantine Guidance
Sign Up For An Admitted Fall 2022 Pre-Arrival Student Session!
Complete your Checklist
(For Undergraduate / Bachelor Degree Students Only)
If you haven't already, notify us of your plans to attend ODU by accessing your ODU Application Portal and login using the username and password you used when you created your application. To accept your offer of admissions, view your decision letter and click on the "Reply to Offer" button, complete the signature page, and submit your $200 non-refundable, admissions' deposit as soon as possible. The admission deposit is required for undergraduate, degree seeking, main campus students ONLY.
Note: If you hold a conditional admission for the full-time English Program and wish to confirm your enrollment, please send an e-mail to email@example.com requesting confirmation of enrollment.
Your first week on campus will be busy and hectic. The ODU campus community is here to help with a comprehensive orientation to outline the services and support available to ensure a successful start to the academic term.
If planning to live ON campus...
Learn more about the various housing options, agreements, terms & conditions. Reminder: Students must activate their ODU Email/MIDAS account before proceeding with the online Housing & Dining Application.
Apply early, as on-campus housing is in high demand.
If planning to live OFF campus...
The majority of international students choose to live off-campus, and there are many options available, however, it will take effort on your part to choose suitable accommodations. It is highly advised to not enter into any contractual agreement until you have arrived in Norfolk.
Student Health Services requires proof of several immunizations. It is less expensive to take care of this requirement before you leave your home country.
- Register for Monarch Orientation, ODU's on-campus orientation program. The events include educational planning, course selection and registration, student and parent interaction, and an overview of resources and campus life.
- A Writing Sample Placement Test (WSPT) is required of all students, and results are required before your scheduled Monarch Orientation date.
- The COMPASS math placement test is not required, though may advance your mathematics placement level.
- Graduate students are encouraged to schedule an advising appointment with their academic department well in advance of campus arrival.
- The New Graduate Student Orientation provides an overview of university services, polices and procedures as they relate to graduate students. This program is separate from department level orientation programs. Pre-registration is recommended.
- Recipients of ODU graduate assistantships requiring classroom instruction must attend the Graduate Teaching Assistantship Institute (GTAI). Additionally, non-native English speakers must take the SPEAK test. Your department sponsor/mentor will advise if the GTAI and SPEAK test registration is required.
- University Admission, with the condition of full-time English language instruction, requires campus check-in directly with the English Language Center (ELC) in 1108 Dragas Hall.
- Students who would like to establish English Proficiency before enrollment will need to submit an acceptable test score report from the current options for meeting the English Proficiency Requirement.
- Graduate students required to take the SPEAK test will need to contact their department and the English Language Center.
Your first stop on campus is 2006 Dragas Hall, located at the corner of Hampton Boulevard and 49th street. All new and returning international students beginning a new program of study must present their visa and immigration paperwork prior to course registration.
Be prepared to present the following information or documentation:
- Current U.S. address (even if temporary)
- Passport/I-94 entry record
- All visa documentation (I-20/DS-2019/proof of status)
- SEVIS I-901 fee payment receipt (F-1/J-1 visas only)
- ODU award letter or sponsorship/financial guarantee requiring third party direct billing
- Any outstanding academic documents (original transcripts, diplomas or test scores)