Sociology & Criminal Justice
- Chappell, A. T., and (2017). Consent Decrees and Police Reform. Criminology & Public Policy, 16 (2), pp. 571–573.
- Lynch, C., Gainey, R. R., and Chappell, A. (2016). The effects of social and educational disadvantage on the roles and functions of school resource officers. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 39 (3), pp. 521–535.
- Chappell, A., Maggard, S., and Higgins, J. L. (2013). Exceptions to the rule? Exploring the use of overrides in detention risk assessment. Youth violence and juvenile justice, 11 (4), pp. 332–348.
- Maggard, S., Higgins, J. L., and Chappell, A. (2013). Pre-dispositional juvenile detention: an analysis of race, gender and intersectionality. Journal of Crime and Justice, 36 (1), pp. 67–86.
- Alper, M., and Chappell, A. T. (2012). Untangling fear of crime: A multi-theoretical approach to examining the causes of crime-specific fear. Sociological Spectrum, 32 (4), pp. 346–363.
- Chappell, A., Monk-Turner, E., and Payne, B. K. (2011). Broken windows or window breakers: The influence of physical and social disorder on quality of life. Justice Quarterly, 28 (3), pp. 522–540.
- Gainey, R. R., Alper, M., and Chappell, A. (2011). Fear of crime revisited: Examining the direct and indirect effects of disorder, risk perception, and social capital. American Journal of Criminal Justice, 36 (2), pp. 120–137.
- Chappell, A., Maggard, S., and Gibson, S. A. (2010). A theoretical investigation of public attitudes toward sex education. Sociological Spectrum, 30 (2), pp. 196–219.
- Chappell, A. T., and Lanza-Kaduce, L. (2010). Police academy socialization: Understanding the lessons learned in a paramilitary-bureaucratic organization. Journal of contemporary ethnography, 39 (2), pp. 187–214.
- Chappell, A. T., and Gibson, S. A. (2009). Community policing and homeland security policing: Friend or foe?. Criminal Justice Policy Review, 20 (3), pp. 326–343.
- Chappell, A. T. (2009). The philosophical versus actual adoption of community policing: A case study. Criminal Justice Review, 34 (1), pp. 5–28.
- Chappell, A. T. (2008). Police academy training: comparing across curricula. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 31 (1), pp. 36–56.
- Payne, B. K., and Chappell, A. (2008). Using student samples in criminological research. Journal of Criminal Justice Education, 19 (2), pp. 175–192.
- Chappell, A., and Maggard, S. (2007). Applying Black’s theory of law to crack and cocaine dispositions. International journal of offender therapy and comparative criminology, 51 (3), pp. 264–278.
- Chappell, A. T. (2007). Community policing: is field training the missing link?. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 30 (3), pp. 498–517.
- Chappell, A. T., MacDonald, J. M., and Manz, P. W. (2006). The organizational determinants of police arrest decisions. Crime & Delinquency, 52 (2), pp. 287–306.
- Chappell, A. T., Lanza-Kaduce, L., and Johnston, D. (2005). Police training: Changes and challenges. Critical issues in policing pp. 71–88.
- Chappell, A. T., and Piquero, A. (2004). Applying social learning theory to police misconduct. Deviant Behavior, 25 (2), pp. 89–108.
- Chappell, A. T., and Lanza-Kaduce, L. (2004). Integrating Soiological Research and Theory with Community-Oriented Policing: Bridging the Gap between Academics and Practice. Journal of Applied Social Science (2), pp. 80–98.
- Chappell, A. T. (2014). Police Training in America: Changes in the New Millennium.International Perspectives on Police Training and Education (pp. 274-288). New York: Routledge.
- Chappell, A. T. (2011). The philosophical versus actual adoption of community policing: A case study.Snapshots of Research: Readings in Criminology and Criminal Justice (pp. 294-311). Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Chappell, A. T., and Piquero, A. R. (2009). Applying Social Learning Theory to Police Misconduct.Contemporary Readings in Criminal Justice. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- 2010: Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative: A National Evaluation, Old Dominion University Faculty Preparation Proposal Program (FP3)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Chappell, A. "Exploring the Nuances of Juvenile Detention Decision-Making: Race, Gender, Age, and Offense-type Interactions " . Old Dominion University. 2013 - 2013
- Chappell, A. "Predictors of Pre-Dispositional Detention: The Special Case of Overrides" $6,000. Old Dominion University. 2012 - 2012
- Maggard, S.; Chappell, A. "Juvenile Justice Innovation in Virginia: Factors Predicting Secure Detention and Length of Stay in Norfolk" . State. 2009 - 2009
- Vandecar-Burdin, T.; Danner, M.; Chappell, A. "Chesapeake Police Citizen Satisfaction Survey" $16,114. Local. 2008 - 2008
- Chappell, A. "Performance Measurement in Community Policing: The State of the Field in Virginia " $7,000. Old Dominion University. 2007 - 2007
- Chappell, A. "Community Policing: Is Field Training the Missing Link?" $5,000. Old Dominion University. 2006 - 2006
- Chappell, A. "Learning in Action: Training the Community Police Officer" $3,750. Local. 2004 - 2004
- Lanza-aduce, L.; Chappell, A. "COPS Training: Comparing Across Curricula and Evaluating Their Impact" $243,368. Federal. 2003 - 2003