Start lessons with just 3 easy steps!
Welcome! At the Community Music Division (CMD), we make it easy for everyone to pick up an instrument and learn to play!
We believe it's never too late to make the priceless investment in a musical education. It's learning to last a lifetime!
CMD has an outstanding staff of degreed private and group instructors who specialize in their music discipline. Most are active performers and teachers in the Hampton Roads community and surrounding areas. The challenges of COVID-19 were met by providing a completely virtual learning environment. Their experience, knowledge and passion for teaching make being a CMD student well worth it. Take a moment to read through the Instructor Biographies to see who a good fit may be to lead you on your musical journey.
Once you've settled on an instructor, send an email to the Community Music Division at email@example.com with the following information.
- Name and age of person interested in lessons.
- Instrument you would like to study.
- Describe your experience level.
- Name of the instructor/instructors of interest.
- Date you want to start lessons.
You'll receive an email from the CMD Administrative Staff within 1-3 business days connecting you to an instructor. Please note that instructors have limited space in their studios. Not all requests can be honored but we'll do our best to get you with your first choice.
You've connected with your instructor and decided on the amount of time and frequency in which you'll need to meet, and now it's time to register. Please read the general registration guidelines and press the corresponding registration link to get started. We look forward to having you join the CMD Family!
Before Registration confirm your private lesson time with your instructor.
Complete Registration before you begin lessons.
- 9-Week Session: August 28 - October 29
- Registration Open: August 24 - September 15
- A Late Registration Fee of $50 will be applied to registration after September 15.
- See calendar for all CMD session dates
|Private Lesson Length:
|9 weeks, 30 minutes per week
|9 weeks, 45 minutes per week
|9 weeks, 60 minutes per week
- You will have the option to create an account, use an existing ODU account or login to your account.
- Then select or type in the last name of the instructor you've been assigned in the search keyword field. You can also use the keyword field to search course codes, titles, descriptions, etc.
- NOTE: Be sure to enter the instructor's last name (and last name only) in the Keyword box, then select "Music Lessons, Private" from the Category dropdown. It will bring up their sections of private lessons.
- Register using the full legal name of the person taking the lessons.
- Select the amount of time and frequency you'll be taking your lessons.
- Once added to your cart you will be prompted to submit payment information on our secure site. Tuition is due at time of registration.
- Continuing Education Registration will email you a receipt. All you have to do is connect virtually with your instructor and be ready to learn!
After registering for private or group lessons, Community Music Division students will be e-mailed a link to set up a MIDAS account that will grant them access to many ODU resources. (More)
All private students are encouraged to participate in our student recitals, held in Chandler Recital Hall. Click to view recital dates, guidelines & policies.Recitals Info