HACE Presents Staff Awards, Elects New Officers
July 24, 2018
Old Dominion University's HACE (Hourly and Classified Employee) Association chapter held its annual luncheon on July 23 to induct new officers, distribute awards and celebrate milestones within the organization.
Cecelia Tucker, ODU's director of Community Relations, served as the event's guest speaker. During her address, Tucker told the crowd some history about ODU and how she helped the University strengthen its relationship with surrounding communities.
Tucker, who has been employed by the University for 27 years, said she had a calling to serve communities. She said she enjoyed having a rewarding career that allowed her to make a difference and change many lives.
"I love my job, I love working here and I love Old Dominion University," Tucker said.
Following the address, two HACE members were recognized with awards. The Staff Member of the Year Award went to Mary Addison, from ODU's Batten College of Engineering and Technology; and the Rookie Staff Member of the Year Award went to Alyssa Jones, of ODU's Athletic Foundation.
The newly inducted HACE officers for 2018 - 2019 are:
- President: Tanya McCown, Honors College;
- Vice President: Trina Hawkins, Department of Music;
- Treasurer: Margaret Oliver, University Libraries; and
- Secretary: Pippa Womack, English Department
HACE supports the missions and integrity of Old Dominion University and seeks to enhance the quality of life for hourly and classified staff.
HACE activities include the following:
- Helping form campus policies by representation on university committees to improve wages and salaries, working conditions, and better benefits
- Honoring outstanding employees with "Staff Member of the Year" and "Rookie Staff Member of the Year" awards
- Promoting tuition waivers for staff
- Representing your voice to our state of Virginia legislature
- Promoting and conducts charitable drives
- Hosting HACE Welcome Back Social in the fall and the HACE Luncheon each spring
Membership in HACE is open to all persons designated by the University as classified or hourly staff.
To learn more about the association, visit the HACE website.