ODU Rated a Top 10 Institution by Militaryfriendly.com
February 11, 2020
Old Dominion University earned a top 10 ranking as a Military Friendly® School for 2020-2021 from militaryfriendly.com.
ODU was ranked eighth among Tier 2 Research Institutions. Top 10 institutions are considered standard bearers for military/veterans programs and initiatives by militaryfriendly.com. They set the bar for other designations and are programs that continue to improve every year.
The only other Tier 2 Research Institution in Virginia in the rankings is the College of William & Mary. It also earned a top 10 ranking.
Schools were judged in the following categories: culture and commitment, academic policies and compliance, admission and orientation, military student support and retention, financial aid and assistance, and graduation and career.
With 25% of its student body military-affiliated, the University has been recognized numerous times for its efforts on behalf of active-duty personnel, veterans and their families. ODU is ranked the top "Best for Vets" school in Virginia by Military Times and has been named a "Military Friendly School" nine years in a row by G.I. Jobs Magazine.
ODU provides the tools and resources necessary to help our military Monarchs transition and succeed, including:
- Old Dominion's designation as a member of the Virginia Training and Education Alliance, which means it has a strong Student Veterans Association and provides priority registration and a gathering place for veterans, among other amenities.
- The Military Connection Center, which provides comprehensive support to assist military-connected students in navigating the transition to academic life.
- A Military to ODU Transition Program, which provides new students with information about available resources.
- A Veterans Administration work-study program, along with a career center to help graduates find jobs.
- Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE), a support program connecting incoming student veterans with student veterans who are trained as Peer Advisors to help them navigate college life, address challenges and provide ongoing support.
"Old Dominion University remains committed to our military-affiliated student population and continues to improve the educational experience for all of our veterans, active-duty service members and military dependents who are proud to call themselves Monarchs," said Robert Clark, director, military activities liaison and special projects at the University. "This latest recognition further affirms the effectiveness of our efforts."
Institutions earning the Military Friendly® School designation were evaluated using public data sources and responses from a proprietary survey completed by the schools. Student survey data was also taken into consideration. More than 1,000 schools participated in the 2020-2021 survey, with 625 schools earning the designation.
The 2020-2021 Military Friendly® Schools list will be published in the May issue of G.I. Jobs magazine. The list can also be found at www.militaryfriendly.com.