ODU Weather Alert: Winter Storm
January 28, 2022
ODU Weather Alert: Winter Storm
Due to a winter storm, scheduled activities at Old Dominion University may be adjusted on Saturday, January 29. Please reach out to the event organizer to confirm whether your activity is still scheduled. Students taking classes on Saturday will be contacted by their professors to make alternative arrangements.
Essential personnel should report for duty as normal, unless advised otherwise by their supervisor. Other personnel may need to report for duty as requested by their supervisor.
While University officials make closing decisions based on the forecast and best available information about roadways, sidewalks and travel, employees and students are urged to exercise caution when considering traveling to campus or the need to leave early during times of inclement weather. Where operationally feasible, the University encourages faculty and supervisors to exercise flexibility and sensitivity to requests from students or employees experiencing challenges during inclement weather.
For students staying on campus, residence halls will remain open and staffed. Students parking on campus are asked to move their vehicles from surface parking lots or side streets to a parking garage. Dining hours and locations, along with limited activities for those staying on campus, are noted below.
Changes to Hours of Operation:
- For a schedule of all Dining Services, visit: https://olddominion.campusdish.com/
- Webb University Center will remain open with regular hours (7 a.m. to midnight). Programming and events, including meetings for student groups, may be adjusted or held virtually. Please reach out to the event organizer to confirm whether your activity is still scheduled.
- The Libraries and Learning Commons at Perry Library will be open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday-Sunday.
- Monarch Transit, the campus shuttle, will operate regular hours (until 8 p.m.) on Friday. SafeRide will operate regular hours (8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.) on Friday. Check the ODU mobile app (transit) or http://odu.edu/monarchtransit for the most up-to-date transportation information this weekend.
- The Student Recreation Center will close at 10 p.m. Friday and open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to midnight on Sunday. All formal programs, events and activities, including the swimming pool, climbing wall and University Fitness Center may be adjusted on Saturday and will resume normal operations on Sunday. The University Village Gym will be closed on Saturday and resume normal operations on Sunday.
- The Barry Art Museum will be closed Saturday.
- For up-to-date game times and cancellations for all athletics events, please visit odusports.com.
University officials will continue monitoring the storm in close collaboration with the National Weather Service and state and local agencies. They will share updates, as they develop, via the ODU Alerts System, University's website (www.odu.edu), social media pages and local news outlets.
For additional information about severe weather preparedness, visit odu.edu/emergency.
For the latest official weather forecast, visit weather.gov.
For traffic and road conditions, call 511 or go to www.511virginia.org.