The purpose of this award is to recognize the exemplary teaching efforts of ODU's outstanding adjunct faculty members. Faculty members nominated for consideration for the award shall have demonstrated a record of superior accomplishment in the instructional mission of the institution.
NOMINATION DEADLINE:   Friday, February 25, 2022
Have been employed by the University as an adjunct faculty member for at least the last three years.
Have taught a minimum of two courses per year.
Have a record of superior accomplishment in teaching.
Nomination Process & Schedule
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Nominations should be submitted directly to the respective department/school chair no later than January 28, 2022. Please allow department/school chairs sufficient time to work with the nominee to prepare a complete packet in advance of the deadline for chairs to submit materials to their dean. Typically, at least two weeks should be allowed for this process.
Nomination packets must be submitted as a single PDF and include the following materials, in this order:
- A personal statement by the person nominated describing general teaching philosophy (maximum two double-spaced pages).
- Curriculum vitae with priority given to activities and awards that focus on teaching (maximum two double-spaced pages).
- A teaching log listing courses taught in the last three years with numbers of students enrolled in each course.
- The nominee's most recent teaching portfolio review.
- Student opinion surveys for the last three years (including both quantitative scores and written comments).
- Grade distribution reports for the last three years.
- Three letters of support, with at least one written by a former student who has graduated from the University and one from the nominee's department chair. All letters should be solicited by and sent to the nominating Dean (or his or her designee), not the nominee.
Nominations and accompanying materials from the deans are to be submitted in electronic form to the office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and Strategic Initiatives no later than February 25, 2022. The winner of the award will be determined by the Provost, on the advice of the University Distinguished Teacher Selection Committee.
Award & Presentation
The award recipient is recognized at the annual faculty awards dinner with a certificate. Also, their name appears alongside previous award winners on a large plaque that hangs in a prominent place in Webb Center. The award recipient receives a one-time award of $1,000 in recognition of this achievement.
Past Award Winners
Yiu Lung Cheng
Information Technology & Decision Sciences
Ocean and Earth Sciences
Communication and Theatre Arts
Darrellyn Dee Hamlet
STEM Education and Professional Studies
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Sociology and Criminal Justice