[ skip to content ]

Toggle Mobile Menu

Conversion from Doctoral to Master's Program

More Information about this image

Graduates walking across Hampton Blvd during commencement

A student in a doctoral program may be converted to an appropriate master's program in special situations.

The doctoral student making satisfactory progress but wishing to leave the University may apply in writing to the new master's program director, with copies to the current program director and the applicant's committee. The new program director, in consultation with the current program director, will review the request following program policy and procedures.

In the case where a doctoral student fails to pass or complete a particular degree requirement, the student's committee may recommend the student to a master's degree program. The student will follow the procedure outlined in the preceding paragraph, except that this approach requires supporting documentation from the current committee. Once the student is accepted, the new program director will send a memorandum and a Notice of Change of Status, to the Office of the University Registrar. The memo should clearly note which of the Old Dominion University credits and approved transfer credits may be applied to the master's degree, and which, if any, should be reserved for future doctoral work.