The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department offers three graduate degree programs and two graduate certificates. Programs are offered online and on-campus and programs are structured to accommodate both full-time and part-time students. Most graduate courses are offered in the evenings, with many offered via live online meetings or recorded lectures and videos.
Civil Engineering Specialty Areas
- Water Resources
Environmental Engineering Specialty Areas
- Water Quality
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Hydrologic Processes
- Environmental Engineering Microbiology
- Water Resources
- Air Quality
- Hazardous and Solid Waste
- Pollution Prevention & Control
Dean's Office Deadline: November 21, 2022
Dean's Office Deadline: November 28, 2022
- ODU Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Resources
- Dissertation Template (.doc)
- Graduate Student Research Travel Award
- GRE Fee Reduction Program
- CEE Five Year Course Plan
- Agreement with Virginia Wesleyan University (VWU)
- Prerequisites for Civil Engineering Technology (CET)
- GRE & English Proficiency Requirements
For both masters and doctoral programs, two letters of recommendation, an essay about the applicant's interest in the particular area, and statement about any future goals and plans are required. All applicants whose native language is not English, must take TOEFL and score 550 points or above (or IELTS ≥ 6.5) for regular admission. Submission of GRE scores are required, except for master's program applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or Ph.D. program applicants who hold a master's degree in engineering disciplines from ABET accredited United States based institutions.
For all master's programs, in addition to the above requirements, the applicant must hold an undergraduate degree (preferably in civil or environmental engineering). Applicants with bachelor's degrees in other fields of engineering/sciences, may be required to complete undergraduate prerequisite courses prior to acceptance.
For the doctoral program, an applicant must have a master's degree or equivalent in engineering or a related field.